Thread: McAfee removal

3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks

McAfee removal

Neighbor has an old Dell PC Windows XP that came with the MCaffee installed. Want to remove it and needing some help.

Told that add-remove program might do the job but then read something about an MCPR program that might get the job done. Any clues please.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I would follow the 2nd course of action if the product was ever activated even if only for the trial period. If it never got it's fingers into the proverbial pie, Add/Remove should be sufficient. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/mcafee_consumer_product_removal_tool.html

Thanks
    Once you get McAfee off, make sure you put something good in its place, such as Avast (free) or Trend Micro (paid). There are others, but those are my preference.

3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks
    I would follow the 2nd course of action if the product was ever activated even if only for the trial period. If it never got it's fingers into the proverbial pie,
    Yes they never had a clue and activated it and I actually went to Major Geeks before and downloaded the MCPR.exe but decided to jump on here cause this place is amazing with help solutions.

Once you get McAfee off, make sure you put something good in its place, such as Avast (free) or Trend Micro (paid). There are others, but those are my preference.
    Avast is also my weapon of choice.

Thanks for quick replies.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In its latest AV-Comparitives Summary Awards, Avast was one of the top rated products, alongside Avira, Bitdefender, BullGuard, Eset, F-Secure and Fortinet which all scored multiple awards. My own preference - AVG - didn't get a single award. It looks like its performance was mediocre across the board so I'm now testing Avast as a probable alternative.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    More info on the McAfee Consumer Product Removal (MCPR) tool, including direct download link.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    When using Avast ensure that at least Windows Firewall is active as it doesn't have its own or you could Google for a choice that will run alongside of Avast such as Comodo

I think there is a compatibility problem between ZoneAlarm firewall and the latest Avast release, unless they have resolved that.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    you may need a special mcafee program to do it
    check their site and also
    google for removing 'program name' and see what turns up

i know i cant remove my norton because it protects itself
    but they have a special uninstaller when i do want to get rid of it

Quote Originally Posted by Not Brightest Bulb View Post
    Neighbor has an old Dell PC Windows XP that came with the MCaffee installed. Want to remove it and needing some help.

Told that add-remove program might do the job but then read something about an MCPR program that might get the job done. Any clues please.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    you may need a special mcafee program to do it
    No searching needed, already linked in #2 and #6 here.