Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Win Update causing slow boot time

Hey folks, I'm new around here and not normally a forum guy, but this issue is killing me.

So I had some problems after I did a whole bunch of windows updates. Essentially when I turn on or restart my computer it takes about 15-20 seconds longer than usual. You might think it's not a big deal, but with my current setup normally taking about 10 seconds to boot, an additional 15 seconds seems like eons.

To remedy the situation I reinstalled windows, after which it was back to normal. I reinstalled the updates and am back to where I started. For some reason one of the many updates I was required to install has caused my computer to take a lot more time during windows startup (the extra time takes place during the windows logo animation on the screen at startup)

I have tried to run system restore to the point where Windows was a fresh install, when it was working fine, but the restore failed.

After reinstalling each of the updates once again, I started getting an error message when shutting down and booting up. It said some updates failed.

Anyway, I have finally resorted, to once again, reinstalling Win 7. As soon as it is done I am going to make an image of the computer, at least then I wont have to reinstall from the DVD.

Though I still do not know why, after doing the updates, my computer takes so much longer to boot up. This has never been the issue in the past, only since I hadnt had my computer for 2 months, and then once I got it back and updated Windows.

Obviously something is messing with my PC.

Ive just thought of something that could rule some things out. I am using the "no format non destructive" post from here on windowssecrets.com. That means, it wouldnt have anything to do with drivers or hardware being installed, it would have to be something from Microsoft that changes how the OS starts up.
    Essentially I am going to install each update one at a time (omg Im dreading this) to see which one does it.
    Do any of you have a better solution?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Thanks
    After doing an image of the fresh install of Windows 7, install some updates, reboot, and see if the problem occurs. If not, make a new image.

Now install a few more updates, reboot, and see if the problem occurs. If not, make a new image.

Keep doing this until you see which group of updates caused the problem. Uninstall all of them, reboot, and see if the problem has gone away.

If uninstalling them doesn't make the problem go away, at least you can restore the newest image and get rid of the problem that way.

Now install all Windows updates except for the ones in the questionable group. Reboot, and see if the problem has stayed away. If it has, make a fresh image.

Now, either try to figure which one of the few updates is the culprit, or hide all of them, so that you don't get snagged in the future.

And let us know what you found out.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well that should take an age. Thanks for your input. I guess I dont really have any other choice. Ill let you know what I find out.

If anyone else has a brilliant idea, Id love to hear it

Cheers

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok so Ive reinstalled, and although I turned off automatic updates Windows still installed 2 updates. One is called "Security Update for WIndows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB26214400). And the second is called "Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.256"
    The computer is now taking the additional 15 seconds to start up.
    Any idea what these are, and why they would cause the slowing of the boot time?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried a clean boot? See How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

Does the slowness persist over several boots? Several days?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe
    I havent tried the clean boot, never heard of it, but thanks, Ill look into it.
    The problem does persist over several days each time I boot.
    Fortunately for me I seem to have isolated the issue:
    Realtek 8186 Extensible Wireless Device (ie. my PCI wireless adapter)

After disabling the adapter in the device manager the computer starts up normally.

Go figure. Now I just need to find out why and how I can leave it enabled and still start up normally.

Any suggestions?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    How did you identify the Wireless adapter as the culprit ?

Event Viewer may have something on that but a reinstall of the adapter driver may cure the problem or reseating the NIC or trying another slot if not attached to the motherboard as in a laptop.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-17 at 05:25.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Sudo
    to be honest I got Pretty Lucky. I had forgotten that I had installed it after moving in to our current place, seeing as the router is in a different room. so I hazard a guess and disabled.
    I'll try reseating the card. I've written to real tek inquiring about the issue. We'll see what comes back
    I'll try the driver lastly
    Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just wondering if it could be a DHCP to DHCP Client problem and assigning the computer's wireless adapter with a static IP address so each knows what the other is doing and then see if it makes any difference to the boot up times.

This would produce a DHCP error entry in Event Viewer.

A typical symptom of this is a temporary yellow alert on the WiFi icon on boot, but it could be hardware/driver related if the black screen bit during boot seems overly long.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    this sounds like a plausible solution! oil have to give it a go. I have noticed a yellow alert on the Wi-Fi icon.
    how do I assign a static IP?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You will need to log into the router to determine its DHCP range so that you can assign one outside of it so that when it DHCP assigns an IP address to any other device/adapter, there won't be a conflict.

As an example, the range could be 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254 or less and the 1 may be a different value.

If the router uses the full 255 range then you will need to reduce it so that you can use an address above its max.

Some routers can have a range of .1 to .50 or from .1 to 199 and you would use any above that but less than 254.

Open a command prompt and type and Enter ipconfig /all - and make a note of the Subnet Mask and Default Gateway then type and Enter exit to close the window.

The Default Gateway is the router's log in URL which will then prompt you to enter a Username (usually admin which is case sensitive) and it could be the same for the Password, but your router's documentation will give that info or you could Google for it or let us know the make & model of the router and we can do it for you.

With the IP address number outside of the DHCP range, the Subnet Mask and Default Gateway, right click on the WiFi icon in the system tray and select Open Network and Sharing Center/Change adapter settings then right click on the Wireless adapter and select Properties.

Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) then on Properties - click on the radio button for Use the following IP address then enter the IP address of your choice, the Subnet Mask and Default Gateway.

Check the box to Validate settings upon exit - OK - Close and that should activate Windows troubleshooter and if it says it can't identify the problem then you are usually good to go and then you can check to see if that has made any difference to the boot up time and gotten rid of the yellow alert on the WiFi icon.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-18 at 17:22.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok so I gave that a go, but it didnt seem to have any effect.
    THanks for the effort tho

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    While this only worked on one of my laptops I came across a Post where if you set the router to your ISP's specific DNS servers rather than have it set to Auto and then set the TCP/IPv4 Properties in the computer to the same, that can knock a substantial amount of seconds off the boot time.

It improved mine by 15 - 20 secs.

You can Google for your ISP DNS addresses, make a note of them and then ping them from the command prompt to see which is the fastest, but you will only be talking ms, although everything helps.

After you have changed those, open a Command Prompt as an administrator and enter each of these commands

ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /registerdns
    exit

Once you've set those up, run Netalyzr for a critique on your Wireless performance - this program requires Java.

Did the static IP get rid of the yellow alert as this can also be DNS related.

Did you download/update the wireless driver from Realtek and/or are there any alerts against it or anything else when it's enabled in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey sorry for the hiatus.
    Ill see what I can do. There was no newer driver for the card, actually Ive heard of quite a few people who couldnt install the card at all. So Im counting myself fortunate. There are no alerts showing
    Cheers

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    When you right click on the adapter and select Properties - does it display that it is working properly and are you still getting the alert on the wifi icon ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast