Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Problem Caused By Microsoft Updates?

Win 8.1 has always worked well for me, but since installing the latest Microsoft updates the system gets as far as displaying my desktop icons but 2 items that should appear in the taskbar don't appear for about 5 minutes, (Key Scrambler and Avast Internet Security) and until they appear I can't open any document or application. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

PS. Why does some of the text in my recent posts get coloured green?
    Last edited by royw; 2014-03-13 at 19:17.
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    I would uninstall those latest Microsoft updates and see if that makes the problem go away.

If it does, then you can try reinstalling them one at a time, to see which one is the culprit.

When you find the one (or more) that is the culprit, write down which updates they are, and then hide them so they won't try to install in the future.

Thanks
    Rather than uninstalling the updates, I would first try a clean boot minus Avast to see if the problem still occurs. If not, re enable things in groups to determine the cause starting with keyscrambler.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If keyscrambler is the cause, check for a newer version and/or consider dropping it as it may cause issues with further updates.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Before I saw any replies I decided to restore Win 8.1 from a Macrium image taken just before the Microsoft updates, and then to install the updates one by one, restarting after each one. That worked and I no longer have the problem.

Thanks for the replies.

Regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Glad to hear you resolved your problem. Thanks for posting your solution.

Jerry