Thanks

Why have most Windows 8 users not upgraded to 8.1?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It is odd that 8.1 was via Windows Store but Update 1 will be via Windows Update.

Presumably that's to make it more available to users who rarely leave the desktop?

Has anyone gathered whether it will be possible to go directly from 8.0 to Update 1?

Bruce

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    It is odd that 8.1 was via Windows Store but Update 1 will be via Windows Update.

Presumably that's to make it more available to users who rarely leave the desktop?

Has anyone gathered whether it will be possible to go directly from 8.0 to Update 1?

Bruce
    I have not seen any discussion about going directly from 8.0. It has all been about 8.1 users updating. So, I doubt it will be feasible.

Joe

Thanks
    That's the impression I get as well Joe, especially since it will come via Windows Update. But I can't say for sure. We'll find out when they release it.

Jerry

Thanks
    I think that is because they considered 8.1 a new version of Windows as opposed to an update to an existing version.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    To answer your original question, 8.1 is a different OS to 8.0 and there have been driver compatibility issues where users have had to revert to 8.0 to wait for vendors to catch up.

I think there is an Acer 8.0 laptop that has a Bluetooth driver that isn't compatible with 8.1 because of lack of drivers.

Thanks
    Why have most Windows 8 users not upgraded to 8.1?

It's because MS through em' for a loop and most people don't know about it, or can't be bothered to download 3GB.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    It was not hard for me to find the update for Windows 8.1. In fact, it was "in my face" - a bar all the way across my screen. So I'm not sure what the author means when he implies that it is harder to find the Windows 8.1 update than the normal Windows updates.

Also, I have a local account, and I didn't need to use a Microsoft account to install the update.

I installed it, used it for a while, then went back to Windows 8.0. The reason? I didn't like it. Some things that worked in 8.0 didn't work in 8.1. And 8.1 doesn't feel as smooth and stable as 8.0. So I went back to 8.0. I'm very happy with 8.0.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In my case it's because MS insists that I enter my local account password, and I am unable to remember what it is, and, as none of the password crackers work with Win 8, I'm excluded.