New Lounger
    Thanks

Delete Files Before upgrade to Win 7 - SAFE?

Finally biting the bullet and upgrading from XP to Win7.

I know one of the steps is to backup my current C Dive then reinstall back to the new OS so I won't lose the functions of installed programs.

However, there is a Lot of stuff on the C Drive that i wouldn't need or want in the new OS. I'm not talking about old programs, etc. no longer needed (I'm already deleting them)

What I am referring to are files like;
    650MB in "uninstall" files linked to updates on previous security files
    2GB of various updates, both security and program updates
    Plus that has to be more as well

That's a LOT of disc space that will clutter up my Win7 upgrade.

MY QUESTION What can I safely remove before I do the upgrade; and please don't say just to buy a larger HD I want the new installation to be as "clean" as possible.

Thanks for your input

Thanks
    Why not copy all the files you want to keep to a different partition or burn them to disc then format the hard drive and perform a clean install of Win7? That way your hard drive/partition will be totally clean.
    If you have an "Upgrade" disc then this tutorial will help.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...7-version.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not an upgrade, a fresh install.

There is 37GB on information on my C drive. Yes, I will back up the contents of the drive and do a fresh install. However, I don't want to back up and then "reinstall" unneeded information just taking up space that is no longer needed.

So my question remains, what Files can I delete BEFORE I do the backup? thanks for your reply.

Thanks
    That's right, you're going to be doing a clean install, so backup everything you need prior to starting.

Here's a great article on Clean Installing Windows 7 from TweakHound.

Clean install with an upgrade disk;
    http://winsupersite.com/article/wind...e-media-128512
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply's but so far no one is answering my question.

I know how to backup. What I don't want to do is backup files that will not be used/needed in Win7 that will only take up space.

To again recap my original post please see below

However, there is a Lot of stuff on the C Drive that i wouldn't need or want in the new OS. I'm not talking about old programs, etc. no longer needed (I'm already deleting them)

What I am referring to are files like;
    650MB in "uninstall" files linked to updates on previous security files
    2GB of various updates, both security and program updates
    Plus that has to be more as well

That's a LOT of disc space that will clutter up my Win7 upgrade.

MY QUESTION What can I safely remove before I do the upgrade; and please don't say just to buy a larger HD I want the new installation to be as "clean" as possible.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You should backup your documents and settings, basically. You won't be able to restore programs from the backup, as this is a clean install, you can only restore your documents and other non operating system related files. You can use the Windows Easy Transfer app to move the settings, pictures, etc, that you keep in Windows default folders.

You can get Windows Easy Transfer here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-easy-transfer. You should get the XP version.

Once you backup what you need, just clean install Windows. As a result of the upgrade, Windows will create a Windows.old folder, with everything in your Windows set (program files included), which you can then delete, once you are sure you that you have all that you need from there. So, your existing programs, etc., won't affect the new installation and don't need to be removed before the upgrade.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    *YOU DO NOT NEED ANY OF THE UPDATES ASSOCIATED WITH XP, SECURITY, WU, OR OTHERWISE.
    *AND YOU DO NOT NEED TO "REMOVE" ANYTHING BEFOREHAND

EVERYTHING on your current drive is useless EXCEPT, all of your personal data and list of installed programs.
    I say backup everything now, so that you may pull what you need from it later.

When you clean install Windows 7, you will have used less than 30GB worth of space on the drive.
    Everything else will be removed during the format and clean install.

Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-03-14 at 20:01.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply

I am running 4 hard drives with multiple partitions, NONE of my programs are installed in C. Of course the C drive has many folders that link to my many many installed programs.

Needless to say, I don't want to reinstall all my various programs so I will need a full backup of C with all the configuration files to my programs (again, no installed programs on the C Drive), not photos, documents and etc. that most will want to save. These items not even stored on C, no photos, docs, etc. stored there I only use the C drive for the OS; plus of course every installed program does install information in C. A little more complex that just the "easy transfer" which I am familiar with.

To clarify your reply. Are you saying that all the "old" XP files that will no longer be revilement in Win 7 won't be installed when I reinstall a full backup of my C drive?

That the windows "OLD" folder will contain all the security and other upgrades, the "uninstall" files and all the other no longer needed files in Win 7 and I can just delete all 3GB? But ir will/won't include the various files linked to my programs? Are you absolutely POSITIVE? :-)

Would be great if it works this way,

Thanks
    Do the clean install like I've been telling you and there will be no "window old file".
    All of your programs are going to NEED to be REINSTALLED from scratch once Windows 7 is set up, irregardless of where they are located.
    YES, anything to do with your current Windows XP system will be totally irrelevant.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Super Moderator,

Are you saying that programs will have to be reinstalled after I do a complete Mirror reinstall of all my C files? If I reinstall an exact mirror, why would that be necessary?
    Sorry if I'm a bit dense on this. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks
    complete Mirror reinstall of all my C files?
    Clarify: what does that mean exactly?

The very fact that you are CLEAN INSTALLING Windows 7 means that all of your previous programs, irrigardless of where they
    are installed or located, will not work or even be recognized anymore. Therefore you will need to reinstall them all and set them up all over again.

You are NOT doing an upgrade install. You can NOT do an upgrade install from XP to W7

You will have to reinstall ALL of your programs over again.
    And you will need to set them up as you previously did with XP. Off the primary drive, if that is your preference.
    Set 7 Free, by bbearren

Windows 7 is a completely different OS than XP was.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-03-14 at 20:48.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build: