Lounger
    Thanks

Image editor features

Wondering about the differences of Corel PaintShop Pro X6 (PSP) & PhotoPaint (included in the CorelDraw X6 suite). Are the feature sets identical? If not, what are the major pros/cons? Tried on the Corel website but little info & no direct listings of the respective feature sets.
    I am currently using PSP but wonder what I may be missing by not using the PhotoPaint app.
    Currently, a local big box store has a good deal on the CorelDraw suite. I do not require CorelDraw (vector illustrations) but if the included PhotoPaint app has a superior feature set the special pricing would make it attractive (I expect that I could selectively install only the apps I want).

Is Photoshop Elements (not interested in purchasing the full Photoshop) superior to either, or both, the above?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Have you considered the Gimp? It's a full featured image editor, similar in features to Photoshop. It's main advantage is that it's free. Of course there's a learning curve, but then most software seems to have that when you upgrade them.

Thanks
    I have Jasc PSP 7, Corel PSPX, and Adobe Photoshop CS2. I also have Jasc PSP 8 but it's not installed because it has problems saving tga files with an alpha channel.
    For my image editing needs, I use all 3 for different purposes, but I only use CS2 to create dds files. Other than that I find either of the PSP apps much easier to use, as well as both having better features.
    I also use Irfanview for basic image viewing and simple image editing.

I guess it boils down to what you want to use an image editor for.
    Hawk

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds like there is some crossover but how much is indeed unclear; probably the only way to tell for sure is download the trial and see.

For photo editing and workflow I almost always use the PSP X to X5 line, Photoshop (CS2,CS5) for the extra fancy work; it has better special tools for unique effects and blending. PS Elements is about 95% of what the full version is but that missing 5% are some of the tools professionals need, like the exposure tool.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Duncan, I use Photoshop Elements 11, 99% of the time, and Photoshop CS5, for the things Elements can't do.
    Best regards, RGSmith
    Computer Specs:
    Windows 7 Pro 64 -Bit
    1000W Silent Fan Power Supply
    Asus Z87-Pro MotherB
    4th Gen. Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Chip
    Crucial 32GB DDR3 Memory
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video
    3 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 64MB HHD's
    Super Multi Blu-ray Burner
    24X DL 8.5GB DVD Burner

Thanks
    I would guess there's a lot of differences between image editing and photo editing.
    I generally don't so any photo editing. I mainly work with images for games.

In that regard, again - it probably comes down to what you want to do.
    Hawk