Lounger
    Thanks

Image editor features

Wondering about the differences of Corel PaintShop Pro X6 (PSP) & PhotoPaint (included in the CorelDraw X6 suite). Are the feature sets identical? If not, what are the major pros/cons? Tried on the Corel website but little info & no direct listings of the respective feature sets.
    I am currently using PSP but wonder what I may be missing by not using the PhotoPaint app.
    Currently, a local big box store has a good deal on the CorelDraw suite. I do not require CorelDraw (vector illustrations) but if the included PhotoPaint app has a superior feature set the special pricing would make it attractive (I expect that I could selectively install only the apps I want).

Is Photoshop Elements (not interested in purchasing the full Photoshop) superior to either, or both, the above?

Thanks
    Have you considered the Gimp? It's a full featured image editor, similar in features to Photoshop. It's main advantage is that it's free. Of course there's a learning curve, but then most software seems to have that when you upgrade them.

Thanks
    I have Jasc PSP 7, Corel PSPX, and Adobe Photoshop CS2. I also have Jasc PSP 8 but it's not installed because it has problems saving tga files with an alpha channel.
    For my image editing needs, I use all 3 for different purposes, but I only use CS2 to create dds files. Other than that I find either of the PSP apps much easier to use, as well as both having better features.
    I also use Irfanview for basic image viewing and simple image editing.

I guess it boils down to what you want to use an image editor for.
    Hawk

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds like there is some crossover but how much is indeed unclear; probably the only way to tell for sure is download the trial and see.

For photo editing and workflow I almost always use the PSP X to X5 line, Photoshop (CS2,CS5) for the extra fancy work; it has better special tools for unique effects and blending. PS Elements is about 95% of what the full version is but that missing 5% are some of the tools professionals need, like the exposure tool.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Duncan, I use Photoshop Elements 11, 99% of the time, and Photoshop CS5, for the things Elements can't do.
    Best regards, RGSmith
    Computer Specs:
    Windows 7 Pro 64 -Bit
    1000W Silent Fan Power Supply
    Asus Z87-Pro MotherB
    4th Gen. Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Chip
    Crucial 32GB DDR3 Memory
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video
    3 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 64MB HHD's
    Super Multi Blu-ray Burner
    24X DL 8.5GB DVD Burner

Thanks
    I would guess there's a lot of differences between image editing and photo editing.
    I generally don't so any photo editing. I mainly work with images for games.

In that regard, again - it probably comes down to what you want to do.
    Hawk