Lounger
    Thanks

Large memory pages not authorized

From WIN7 to 8 to 8.1 I have been getting the same error message from Sisoft SANDRA regarding my memory benchmark:
    "Warning W5010 : Cannot use large page memory pages due to lack of privileges.

Fix: Use the Local Security Policy to give yourself lock memory pages privilege.

Large memory pages greatly improve performance when large memory blocks are allocated."

I have tried to change the Local Security Policy, but it has not worked.

Any ideas as to what this really means and how, if it needs to be fixed, do I do it?

I am using:
    ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Rev 2 mobo, FX8350 CPU, 16 GB GSkill 2133 Low latency Ram. All updates to 8.1 are installed.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Last edited by billrice; 2014-03-14 at 17:07. Reason: Correct hardware info

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are you running a version that supports Win7/8/8.1?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,
    I am not sure what you are inquiring about. Lock memory pages privileges are part of the OS's local security settings. SANDRA does work with all three OS's. I hope that helps you so you can help me.

I am trying to find out how to authorize the use of large memory pages on my specific system, or, if I should be bothering with this at all.

Thanks,
    Bill

Administrator
    Thanks
    I was asking about Sandra. Even though Sandra may work with all three OSes, do you have the most current version?

From MSDN: "Large-page support enables server applications to establish large-page memory regions, which is particularly useful on 64-bit Windows."

Unless you have a Pro or Enterprise SKU you don't have access to gpedit to change the setting. You most likely don't need to worry about it anyway.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,
    I have the latest version of SANDRA. I also only have a single deskktop PC. I do not run it as a server, although I do have the Pro version of WIN8.1. So, it sounds like I don't have anything to gain from trying to to change things.

Thanks for your help.

Bill