Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Publishing pages correctly

This shouldn't be hard but it's certainly not obvious - at least to me.

On the other hand, I don't do this very often.

I'm using Publisher to create a card. I chose a template for a 4-page card. I created my content. In the page navigation panel, Publisher shows what I think as the front of the card as page 1 - good! Pages 2 and 3 are shown as one side-by-side view to be folded for the inside left and right sides. Page 4 is shown separately as being the back of the card. Really looks just like I want it.

When I Save As a PDF and look at the PDF, I'm seeing one "sheet." Pages 1 and 4 are together and upside down relative to pages 2 and 3. I understand that if I were to fold this across the middle and then down the center, I'd get my card exactly as I'd expect. But this is not what I want to do. I want the printer to print on both sides - pages 1 and 4 on one side and pages 2 and 3 on the other. I can handle the one fold. Right now, I'm getting all 4 pages on the one sheet.

Should I be saving pages 1 and 4 as one PDF and 2 and 3 as another in Publisher? Are there some settings in Publisher or Adobe Reader to get this to come out correctly?

TIA

Fred

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,

Despite never having used Publisher, and technology is a mystery to me, as nobody else has replied, let me say that I think you are on the right lines.

If you print pages 1 and 4 on one side, with 2 and 3 on the reverse it should work. Just take care to ensure the paper is the correct way round for the reverse. When doing double sided printing I always start with just the first two pages, never being able to remember which way round to put the paper.

You have probably worked it out yourself by now, but I know how depressing it is to post a problem and not get a single response.
    Last edited by georgelee; 2014-03-21 at 11:28. Reason: added just

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi George,

Thks for responding. I appreciate the thought.

I couldn't find a way to force the "save as pdf" to just save pages 1 and 4 as one pdf'd page and pages 2 and 3 and another pdf'd page.

So I tried another approach.

The original card had measurements of something like 4x5 inches. So all 4 Publisher pages fit on one pdf'd 8.5x11 American page. So I changed the card's measurements to something like 5x8 inches using a Publisher template. Getting the existing material (text and graphics) to the new size was pretty easy. But it did leave some blank area that I had to fill up (which wasn't too bad and actually worked out well as far as the purpose of the card). And when I pdf'd the card, I got exactly what I wanted: pages 1 and 4 on one pdf'd page and pages 2 and 3 on the second pdf'd page. And yes, printing the 2 pages of the pdf'd file back-to-back got me exactly what I wanted!

Fred