Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Lounger
    Thanks
    I would imagine most people who are still on XP are not the most adventurous types. Any forum discussing change from the most mainstream OS to a new OS would probably stick to the same mainstream. Most applications that work in XP will just work in Win7 or Win8. Most anything can be made to work in Linux but you might have to spend some time researching solutions.

All the basic/mainstream computer functions have alternative Linux applications that are very similar to the Windows applications. You will need to learn a few new commands but the activity should be very similar. At the very worst, you can install a virtual PC and run XP with any remaining applications in a window.

The real question for me would be how far from a typical mainstream user are you and how much work do you want to do to get on board Linux. In general I believe the hardware requirements are lower for most Linux distributions except for allowing for old/obscure hardware that might not have drivers available for Linux.

For me, basic word processing/email/internet is a slam dunk for Linux. After some experience, home theater is a tossup but I slightly prefer Linux over Win7 (I hear home theater is not even part of the basic Win8 package). Other applications like taxes and money managers are probably more difficult in Linux but I do not have experience with those.

Just to throw an off-topic monkeywrench, I set my father up with an Android tablet and he finds that it's just quicker and easier to grab the tablet than fire up his old XP PC for most tasks. (of course not including taxes and general money management)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an old HP 6515b with an 80Gb hard drive and 2Gb RAM that was running under XP until last week. It doesn't boot from USB by the way.

I copied all the files I wanted to keep from the 2 user accounts onto an external drive and pared down the partition to the bare minimum, uninstalling all the programs I would no longer need. I then reduced the partition to 30Gb and created a second partition of just under 50Gb formatted NTFS.

I installed Ubuntu 13.10 alongside XP but hated the Dash desktop. I tried to load the Gnome interface to replace it but hosed eveything... BTW, since my laptop couldn't boot from USB, I had downloaded and burned a great little programme called Plop which loads a USB installer into RAM so you can boot from a thumb drive.

Starting from scratch again, I looked through the alternatives, including Zorin, but eventually settled for Lubuntu, a light version of Ubuntu. It fits on a CD too.

Installing was a piece of cake. The interface is pretty Windows-friendly, unlike the awful Dash. You don't get all the software bundled as in Ubuntu, but you can always download it.

I copied all the XP personal files back into the home directories of the 2 Lubuntu accounts I created. Everything opens either natively under Lubuntu or using Wine. It also has an e-mail client called Sylpheed that looks a little like Eudora - this may be the Eudora replacement I have been looking for!

The only hiccup was that Lubuntu didn't support my wifi adaptor. For that I had to connect via LAN and download the Broadcom package. Took at least 3 minutes...

I can dual boot to either XP or Lubuntu. I have kept XP for the moment but will probably erase it at some point. It's a laptop I don't use much but want to keep as a backup.

So, to answer the initial question, I can definitely recommend Lubuntu
    Last edited by Marp; 2014-04-03 at 03:32.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    One thing to keep in mind if you want to switch from XP to Linux is will I be able to perform essential tasks when running Linux? There are Linux replacements for many Windows apps but not all of them.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marp View Post
    I have an old HP 6515b with an 80Gb hard drive and 2Gb RAM that was running under XP until last week. It doesn't boot from USB by the way.

I copied all the files I wanted to keep from the 2 user accounts onto an external drive and pared down the partition to the bare minimum, uninstalling all the programs I would no longer need. I then reduced the partition to 30Gb and created a second partition of just under 50Gb formatted NTFS.

I installed Ubuntu 13.10 alongside XP but hated the Dash desktop. I tried to load the Gnome interface to replace it but hosed eveything... BTW, since my laptop couldn't boot from USB, I had downloaded and burned a great little programme called Plop which loads a USB installer into RAM so you can boot from a thumb drive.

Starting from scratch again, I looked through the alternatives, including Zorin, but eventually settled for Lubuntu, a light version of Ubuntu. It fits on a CD too.

Installing was a piece of cake. The interface is pretty Windows-friendly, unlike the awful Dash. You don't get all the software bundled as in Ubuntu, but you can always download it.

I copied all the XP personal files back into the home directories of the 2 Lubuntu accounts I created. Everything opens either natively under Lubuntu or using Wine. It also has an e-mail client called Sylpheed that looks a little like Eudora - this may be the Eudora replacement I have been looking for!

The only hiccup was that Lubuntu didn't support my wifi adaptor. For that I had to connect via LAN and download the Broadcom package. Took at least 3 minutes...

I can dual boot to either XP or Lubuntu. I have kept XP for the moment but will probably erase it at some point. It's a laptop I don't use much but want to keep as a backup.

So, to answer the initial question, I can definitely recommend Lubuntu
    Another possibility would have been Mint with the Cinnamon GUI. BTW, I don't have a Dash. I am using the Unity Desktop, but it presents me with a Sidebar.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to All,esp Russell and Bob.
    On 3/29 i got a norton system works 2005 and extracted and installed ghost.
    Blew me back to the stone age.....2008 to be exact- (last known good config.--crash, also)
    A death in the family slowed my 'recovery' attempts and for a few days i lit up off the xp install disc just for critical activities...
    My last major crash was in '08 and boy,it's hard to remember so much when you don't do it often....whew!

So,as it stands,i used the norton uninstall tool from their site,and still have this farkinghost partitions and drive letter swaps to remove
    before i can even entertain installing Mint.
    In my view, my most important task since the crash is to load as many updates to xp as i could gather before support disappeared completely,
    (which i think happened around mid day on 4/8,as announced).

Thanks to Phoenix for a Very Strong Bios A12 which now carries 3 complete xp installs while i hunt & peck trying to make them pretty and complete and ready to copy.

Any ideas on how to remove farkinghost partitions w/o damaging xp??
    How about a way to copy or clone my xp and related jive to an eternal hd before i advance onto the brave new world?

(have used win bkp and GFI free,but know they're not true copies themselves...)

no syman/norton products,please

Thanks and Happy Passover,Easter and all the other April Holidays i've forgotten.
    si
    best free.jpg

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ps
    i have backups from 3/28 ready to install,but wish to remove farkinghost,etc., first...

Thanks
    If you want to adjust which partitions are listed in the Partition Tables and really get rid of unneeded partitions, gParted (a Linux based utility) has very powerful tools for getting the job done. I haven't had any huge disasters using gParted, but have the desired Windows XP partition backed up with a full image just in case. Worse comes to worst, you can reformat the entire drive and put back the XP partition from the image.
    -- Bob Primak --

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

silas (2014-04-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bob, Thank You for adding sunshine to the weekend ! I'll fetch and let you know in a few days.
    disservice.jpg
    from Despair.com site svc page (actually quite good...)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silas View Post
    Bob, Thank You for adding sunshine to the weekend ! I'll fetch and let you know in a few days.
    disservice.jpg
    from Despair.com site svc page (actually quite good...)
    Love the Customer Disservice Image! Sunshine on a rainy Chicago Sunday!
    -- Bob Primak --

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bobprimak For This Useful Post:

silas (2014-04-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Linux install on older hardware will work great, but for very little money ($200-300) you can buy a Chromebook and kiss operating system problems good bye for good. If you are only using the net, email, games online, etc, there is no reason to use Windows or any other operating system. No more updates, no more antivirus, quick boot times, no reason to call a tech person. They just work. In my opinion Microsoft's end of life decision for XP is one of the greatest selling features of Chromebooks!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by erodzen View Post
    Linux install on older hardware will work great, but for very little money ($200-300) you can buy a Chromebook and kiss operating system problems good bye for good. If you are only using the net, email, games online, etc, there is no reason to use Windows or any other operating system. No more updates, no more antivirus, quick boot times, no reason to call a tech person. They just work. In my opinion Microsoft's end of life decision for XP is one of the greatest selling features of Chromebooks!
    You can also buy a Chromebook, and install Linux on it. Is there anyone here who has done it?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    Agreed, and I did not mean to take the thread off topic.

The original question does deserve some consideration. As do the issues which can make Linux migration difficult. My own experience was that my hardware (hybrid graphics) caused some issues. Hopefully, these will be less of a problem with the shift from X Windows to Mir in Ubuntu 14.04.
    Bad news. Mir is not ready for prime time. Mir can be installed on Ubuntu 14.04, but it's an Alpha version. It will probably cause more problems than it solves. Mir is now scheduled to be default on 16.04.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123