2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File history inaccessible

Having upgraded to 8.1, lost all my emails, contacts and calendar in Outlook 2007. Lost them also from 'Windows old' after previous abortive Refresh system try-out. But they are saved under my File History on external drive. But each time I try to open them from Outlook I get the message 'permission denied'.

I have checked the File History folder properties and made sure access rights granted to all users. Anyone any ideas?

Tim
    Tim

(Asus Transformer Aio. Win8.1. Galaxy S4. Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Hi,

An upgrade to Windows 8.1 should not make you lose anything from Outlook. Did you change the account you use to access Windows?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Umm... I am signed in as Tim administrator, which I think I was under Win8 - but I did do this signing up (on 8.1 install) to my MS account. Is that the problem, and if so how do I change it? Thanks for help.
    Tim

Administrator
    Thanks
    A file permissions issue can point to a situation where the accounts under Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 are not the same. Do you use a local account or a Microsoft account? Was it the same on Windows 8?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Had to take friend to hospital, so sorry for late reply. It was definitely a local account with Win 8. But now I don't know because, as I said, I did give my MS account on the 8.1 install. I don't know how to change it - looking at my account type, it shows me as the owner and administrator - nothing about Microsoft.
    Tim

Administrator
    Thanks
    When you login, do you insert your Microsoft account details?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, Rui. I switch on PC and it boots up straight to my desktop (not the Metro one). I don't have to enter anything (which is how I like it). There must be a way for Outlook to open the .pst file from my File History without getting 'permission denied'.
    Tim

Administrator
    Thanks
    I don't use File History and I don't know much about it, but you can check who the owner his and you can check what effective permissions the account you are using you has on the file. It can be done by checking file properties, security tab, then Advanced, finally Effective Access tab and choose the user account you are using.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    But they are saved under my File History on external drive
    If it's the actual .pst file can you copy it to the OS HDD Documents Folder and try to Import it into Outlook? That file usually contains everything from Outlook except the program itself.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    If it's the actual .pst file can you copy it to the OS HDD Documents Folder and try to Import it into Outlook? That file usually contains everything from Outlook except the program itself.
    Your suggestion makes total sense. I got enmeshed in the permissions issue, when it is clear that the file should be copied from the backup to the actual location.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've managed to get the file using File History's Restore feature and open it in Outlook - but it's a month out of date! A nightmare. It's restored all my Outlook folders but now I have two lots of Personal Folders and Inboxes (the new one being live/active, the old one with many of my month-old and older emails). It hasn't restored any of my 'rules', contacts or calendar.

So even with a back-up regime, I seem to be stuffed. I wish I had not first of all followed the 'Top Story' on doing a Refresh from a custom image (where I first lost my Outlook data, not to mention preferences in all my other programs), and secondly installing 8.1.

I'm still keen to learn how to change my account to local. Because of my following 8.1 install advice to have desktop as the default, the Metro link to Accounts just doesn't open, where I gather there is an option to Disconnect from the MS account.

It's like having a hand power drill with a flat battery. You can't get on with the job the PC is supposedly intended for without hours sorting out the design flaws.

Ah well. Thanks for your input Rui. Maybe others have opinions/solutions.
    Tim

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you opened the backup outlook file, then you have two sets of everything, which will go away once you close it again. You can browse the recovered file contents and copy the contacts to the existing file. Same with calendar events. Once you copy the contents you want, you can simply close the restored file.

Rules are kept in a different file. Did you back up those, as well?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't follow you Rui. I can only open the backup file in Outlook, which is what I did and the contacts and calendar were not there. I didn't know about rules being in a different folder, but happily that's no big deal as they're easy to recreate. I'm slowly sorting out the folders by moving the old ones into the new Personal Folders section. But I do regret losing a month's worth of emails. Probably due to me not knowing nuts and bolts of File History.

On the MS/Local account issue, I have sorted it. Yesterday I was using Restart which, I've since discovered, is not the same as using Shutdown. Restart took me back to where I was. But Shutdown - I found on switching on today - boots up to demand account password. From there I was able to get to 'Your Account' where I could disconnect and create a Local account. Phew!
    Tim

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you only had one pst and your contacts were there, the backup should have a contacts folder. With the backups file and the regular file open on the left pane, you need to click the initial backup file folder and then click the icon in the nav bar that gives you access to contacts. That should allow you to see the contacts, if they exist.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Apparently the contacts don't exist! Anyway, I've imported the address book from my gmail account. Anyone doing the same: be aware that you'll get frustrated if there are more than 100 names.... as I found out after searching for why the gmail export wouldn't work. Undocumented, but you have to limit the export to 100 names or less.
    Tim