Lounger
    Thanks

Questions on "PC Mover Express for Windows XP"

I have read so many incomplete, confusing instructions regarding Microsoft/Laplink's new free tool, that I thought I would be better served posting my questions here.

I will be upgrading (emphasis here on upgrading....and NOT transferring to a NEW computer) from Windows XP to Windows 7. Can I do an "in place" (upgrading on SAME computer) upgrade using this tool? Can it be used to upgrade to Windows 7, as well as Windows 8?

I am assuming it will NOT transfer programs. Would that be a correct assumption?

Right now, it is almost impossible to get timely info from Laplink.

Hoping anyone can offer any help. Thanks so much.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

Laplink has a family of products that allow data and even programs to be copied between Windows versions. The features available depend on the versions (and it can include moving programs), but in any case, an in place upgrade cannot be performed with this tool.

Can the tool be used to upgrade to both 7 and 8? It can be used to migrate your files and settings to both 7 and 8, yes:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/en-...your-data.aspx

Will the tool transfer programs? No, it won't. Laplink offers a hefty reduction in price for a version that will migrate programs, though ($23.95 instead of the regular $60): http://www.laplink.com/pcmoverexpressxpeol

In a migration using this tool, you run the tool in XP and save the results in an external device (preferably), although a different disk partition can also be used. You then perform a clean install of Windows 7. Once that completes, you run the tool again and it will use the previously saved info to restore it to your new OS.

I used such a tool in 2009, when I migrated from XP to 7 (from XP 32 bits to 7 64 bits) and most programs were migrated correctly. Had to reactivate Office and one Adobe app didn't work correctly, but all the other apps were migrated without issues. I didn't regret having paid for the app, back then. I would imagine the technology can have improved since then, but it was already pretty good 5 years ago, at least that was my experience.

HTH
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Mrs. Bond (2014-03-15),Nomad (2014-03-15)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    A basic issue in this is that Win7 and Win8 will not upgrade over WinXP, has to be a clean install which will cause loss of everything on the HDD.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

Nomad (2014-03-15)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    A basic issue in this is that Win7 and Win8 will not upgrade over WinXP, has to be a clean install which will cause loss of everything on the HDD.
    This is not exactly correct. A clean install with no formatting will get a set of Windows related folders into a file named windows.old. Folders that are not Windows related will be preserved.
    All this, of course, admitting that you choose not to format the partition before installing.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Nomad (2014-03-15)

Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib, thank you so much for this information....it's greatly appreciated. You stated that it is preferable to use an external device when migrating with PC Mover Professional for XP Users, but a different disk partition can also be used. I know nothing about using partitions, etc., but I do have an additional four partitions in addition to the C Disc. I am tempted to go with this, but would the partitions be large enough for the contents? (Please excuse this newbie question, but it is what it is). See a screen capture of my partitions (used the PrintScreen key...hope it's visible). Do you have any idea what the "unknown" partition on the right of the C Disc would be? Thanks again.

untitled (Medium).PNG
    Last edited by Nomad; 2014-03-15 at 18:45.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi Nomad,

You have one disk partition that has about 1.2 GB free, but it is not assigned a drive letter. The others are removable drives and they have no media, which means they are CD / DVD ROMs, or card readers that have no discs or no cards.

You could assign a letter to the disk partition, but I don't know if that space is going to be enough or not (depends on the amount of space used by your documents, photos, etc). 1.2 GB would not be enough for me, for sure. It may also be possible that such partition is used for some other purpose (like a factory restore, for example). Probably assigning a drive letter would allow you to see that, but it is not very likely this one is usable for your purposes.

Don't you have an external disk that you use for backups, for example?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Nomad (2014-03-15)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks ruirib, Yes I do have a 500GB Samsung external hard drive which I use for backups. I'll probably use that. BTW, can I use a Flash Drive for this?
    Last edited by Nomad; 2014-03-15 at 20:04.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Thanks ruirib, Yes I do have a 500GB Samsung external hard drive which I use for backups. I'll probably that. BTW, can I use a Flash Drive for this?
    I would prefer the external drive, would just create a folder for the data and have PC Mover use it. A flash drive can be used but, again, there will be the question whether it has enough free space. Personally, I wouldn't trust important (and single copy) data to a flash drive, I find them too unreliable. If you use a flash drive and format the disk as part of the Windows 7 installation, the flash drive will be the only source for your data. I wouldn't do it. Of course, if you use clean install but don't format the drive, all you need will also be in a folder named windows.old and can be recovered.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Nomad (2014-03-15)

Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib, thank you soooo much. You have been a great help. I must print out this page

And how is lovely Portugal? I have fond memories of your country....and the President's pink presidential palace.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am glad I could help.

Things in Portugal are a bit complicated now, too much government incompetence and a bit of a hard time for regular citizens. On the good side, spring is about to come and it hasn't rained in a week or so, which is a bit better. I am glad you enjoyed Portugal. Were you here for a long time?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Disk Management [in Computer Management] may show a partition without a letter that could contain the Factory Restore files and requires a certain routine to run the restore. Sometimes a small partition can't be removed using Disk Management so if necessary I use the bootable GPARTED CD to do it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    It seems that in place upgrades may only be available through a paid version of the app, the Windows 7 (or 8) Upgrade Assistant: http://www.laplink.com/index.php/ind...-for-windows-8

I can't be totally sure of this. My experience was with a version of this software, 5 years ago. It seems pretty dumb that some of these tools will force network communication between the two PCs and won't allow the transfer of data through media such as a flash or external drive.
    Rui
    -------
    R4