Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question New Win 7 64 bit programs

I have a question that I hope can be answered in this forum. I have a fairly new computer with Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit. I've noticed in Windows Explorer that 64 bit programs are in a folder called "Program Files", and 32 bit programs are in a folder called "Program Files (x86)". I have a 32 bit version of AVG Free 2013 antivirus currently installed. It's in Program Files (x86). My question is this: At some point I will want to install the 64 bit version of AVG Free 2014. Will I have to uninstall the older 2013 32 bit version before I install the new 2014 64 bit version? The way it looks (with two separate program folders) I could possibly end up with two versions of AVG on my computer. Does anyone have any comments or help in this matter?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    You should definitely remove the 32 bit version before installing a 64 bit version... even if it is possible that the 64 bit installer removes the 32 bit version, but if you don't know, I would advise you to play safe.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You should always install 64 bit program versions on a 64 bit system even though some of the program's architecture could be 32 bit as in the case of AVG Free http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...older-why.html

AVG has 32 and 64 bit uninstallers, but to ensure that the old version is fully uninstalled prior to installing the newer version, there are a number of free dedicated uninstallers as well as being incorporated in programs like the free version of CCleaner

Thanks
    Will I have to uninstall the older 2013 32 bit version before I install the new 2014 64 bit version? The way it looks (with two separate program folders) I could possibly end up with two versions of AVG on my computer. Does anyone have any comments or help in this matter?
    As a general rule of thumb, yes, the 32 bit version should be uninstalled prior to installing the 64 bit version.

The installer on the 64 bit version may or may not detect the 32 bit version, depending upon how well coded the software is
    in terms of version updates and how closely related version numbers are between the two, offering to uninstall the 32 bit version.

If you are going to uninstall manually, even if you are not, ensure that you shut down it's running processes prior to.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    As a general rule of thumb, yes, the 32 bit version should be uninstalled prior to installing the 64 bit version.

The installer on the 64 bit version may or may not detect the 32 bit version, depending upon how well coded the software is
    in terms of version updates and how closely related version numbers are between the two, offering to uninstall the 32 bit version.

If you are going to uninstall manually, even if you are not, ensure that you shut down it's running processes prior to.
    Probably best done in Safe Mode so that the files aren't loaded.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    AVG has 32 and 64 bit uninstallers, but to ensure that the old version is fully uninstalled prior to installing the newer version, there are a number of free dedicated uninstallers as well as being incorporated in programs like the free version of CCleaner
    Does the CCleaner Uninstall Tool dig any deeper than Programs and Features? It only claims to list programs faster and allow entries to be deleted or renamed on that list:

Using CCleaner - Uninstalling Programs

I think it just runs the standard uninstaller for each program.

Bruce

Thanks
    You might consider this from the AVG Download Center.
    Especially if the software is a suit of utilities and you don't plan on preserving anything/settings.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes Bruce, you are right.

Although I have CCleaner, I've never used its Uninstaller and thought it did a deeper clean - I use Iobit Uninstaller which digs out both 32 and 64 bit programs and can shred files if that option is taken..

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Any time you uninstall an AV program it is good to see if the maker has a cleanup tool. Most do and you run that from safe mode.
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all of you for the good information!