New Lounger
    Thanks

Network connection quit working

I've been cleaning up a friends Win7 laptop. Main problems were an unwanted copy of Chrome pounding the hard drive and loads of malware (not viruses). Everything was going along fine until all of a sudden the network quit working. Wireless or LAN, I get an IP address but can't connect anywhere. Firefox says Server not found. Sounds like it could be DNS related but I don't know where to look. I tried putting in a manual DNS address and I did a system restore to an earlier time. Network works fine from a different laptop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Can't connect to my local router via IP address so it may not be DNS related.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you able to connect either when booted up into Safe Mode with Networking or with IE no add-ons and are there any yellow alerts in Device Manager/View/Show hidden devices for the Network adapters or Non-Plug and Play Drivers ?

Have you also tried Windows troubleshooter to see what it reports ?

And you can check out http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/...ns-prefetching for the Firefox error message.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-15 at 19:15.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Doesn't work in safe mode & windows troubleshooterer doesn't help but I just ran across this.

Just ran Hijackthis and found something interesting. There was a line that said: broken internet access because of lsp provider c:\users\caity\appdata\local\desktoptemperature\dt wxsvc.dll missing.

desktoptemperature was one of the programs that I got rid of. I tried to do it in control panel but it asked me to close about 8 programs first including Norton. This was not possible so I manually deleted the program everywhere I could find it.

Any idea how I can fix this issue?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Booting up into Safe Mode will isolate any 3rd party AV so you could try it that way to uninstall any programs, but I'm not sure of the relationship between the ISP and that program and if there aren't any connectivity issues with the other laptop, then it isn't an ISP issue.

Booting up into Safe Mode with Networking is a means to check if the AV is the cause of the loss of connectivity.

Have you tried IE without add-ons and have you checked Device Manager yet ?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem resolved

netsh winsock reset catalog (resets winsock entries)
    netsh int ip reset reset.log hit (resets TCP/IP stack)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I was getting to that but had to check out other bits first.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your help.