Thread: Jackpot-O'Chump

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Jackpot-O'Chump

Tasked with cloning to an already installed SSD and switching over to it (desktop). First part goes ok, shutdown, switch SATA data cables, boot, still in the other drive. Ok, I'll just go to PC settings and reboot in UEFI and change the boot...only problem is no video will come up...try three different monitors and all the video output sources...nuthin. Another round of PC settings reboot to change startup settings...nuthin. PC settings to reboot via USB/CD...won't boot to Linux CD, no Win 8 DVD on hand...Several rounds of mad (fast not angry) tapping to try to trigger safe mode...nuthin!!! Disk management won't let me trick the system onto a different active partition. Ok, tear out all the external umbilicals again and remove the originating drive's data SATA. Finally with only one choice even Win 8 can't screw it up and it boots to SSD...shut down yet again, remove all external temporary (necessary) umbilicals yet again, place the cable back on the port and reassemble for the third (fourth?) time, doesn't recognize the added drive because of hybrid boot but yet another restart sets it right.

A five minute job that took 2 hours or more. More surprising things about what I could NOT do in disk management to the now freed up former system drive so it required a third party partitioner to get it converted to an MBR disk.

So is there anyone after all that who can defend Win 8 for versatility and flexibility when it comes to having domain over your own GD system if one link in the chain fails? It's almost like Microsoft designed Win 8 to thwart interference at every turn! I was a VIRUS to Win 8!

On the GOOD SIDE, I had a chance to hook Win 8 up to dual monitors and I really liked how it handled that process, best I've ever seen. Unfortunately that did little to stem the avalanche of ire.

Thanks for letting me VENT and let me know if there was something else to do in that instance to avoid all the insanely useless head-knocking; reset the BIOS, download link to Win 8 ISO, start up repair disc utility in there somewhere?
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2014-03-16 at 01:37.
    Sent from Windows ME thru Opera 10.63...just before they crashe

Thanks
    I don't care for cloning at all. I think it's all but useless in comparison to an image restore.

But Windows 8 sure does want to have it's own way, no doubt about that.
    For me, it's still wanting to put boot components on another drive, which I hate.
    But I have too many drives to simply disconnect and start over, but that's fine, I've managed to work around it.
    using DISKPART, among other, from a bootdisk helps.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    It will all be fine
    In Windows 9...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I hear ya as far as imaging goes in most circumstances, I think for certain applications in this modern age when intelligent sector copying is so effective, cloning also has it's place, obviously in the one described.
    Normally I switch the data cables right away when installing the SSD and swap boot priority as required but since I figured Win 8 wouldn't let me into the UEFI BIOS on a cold boot, that the system wouldn't boot but it turns out that it had no problem finding and latching onto the boot drive even though it was connected to port 4.
    One thing I might have been able to do there is add a boot flag to the SSD on port 1 using EaseUS partition software? If so I wouldn't have had to go back in 2 more times but I didn't have it installed until I found how many restrictions Disk Management had on a "former" system drive compared to Win 7.