2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Certain types of files no longer display thumbnails after assigning default programs

After associating a default program for opening and editing ico files and ani files, I no longer see the actual files' thumbnails in Windows Explorer. Instead, I am getting the icon associated with each program, which makes it a lot more difficult to manage and edit the files. Is there a way to either get the thumbnail view back while keeping a default program to open the file, or, less desirable, eliminating the Association entirely and getting the thumbnail back that way?

Thanks,
    Ellen

Administrator
    Thanks
    Once you associate a file with a program you are subject to what that program does for the thumbnail view.

Here's how to restore default file associations for various file types in Windows 7 - Restore Default Windows 7 File Extension Type Associations.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. That method worked for me for only the ani files. I tried merging the reg file for the ico files, but it hasn't changed anything. Is there anything else I can try?

Update: Oops, my mistake. I downloaded the wrong reg key . . . When I realized that, I tried the correct one and it did work. Thanks again.
    Last edited by decibelle; 2014-03-17 at 14:52.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome. Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for posting back.

Joe