2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Certain types of files no longer display thumbnails after assigning default programs

After associating a default program for opening and editing ico files and ani files, I no longer see the actual files' thumbnails in Windows Explorer. Instead, I am getting the icon associated with each program, which makes it a lot more difficult to manage and edit the files. Is there a way to either get the thumbnail view back while keeping a default program to open the file, or, less desirable, eliminating the Association entirely and getting the thumbnail back that way?

Thanks,
    Ellen

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Once you associate a file with a program you are subject to what that program does for the thumbnail view.

Here's how to restore default file associations for various file types in Windows 7 - Restore Default Windows 7 File Extension Type Associations.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. That method worked for me for only the ani files. I tried merging the reg file for the ico files, but it hasn't changed anything. Is there anything else I can try?

Update: Oops, my mistake. I downloaded the wrong reg key . . . When I realized that, I tried the correct one and it did work. Thanks again.
    Last edited by decibelle; 2014-03-17 at 14:52.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome. Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for posting back.

Joe