New Lounger
    Thanks

Resources without exchange (Outlook 2000, SR1)

Hello everyone,

I want to be able to use Outlook to manage avalibility of resources (meeting rooms, cars, projectors etc), but we are using a POP e-mail system, not Exchange server.

From the documentation it looks like I would have to have a separate computer running Outlook for each resource because the automatic resource scheduling seems to work only with the logged in users calendar (unless you are using delegates on Exchange Server). That is, although I could have one Outlook client checking different mailboxes (one for each resource), they would all get booked on one calendar so you couldn't book a car resource and a projector resource at the same time. Which isn't very helpful [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

Does anybody know if there is a way to manage multiple resources from one computer, automatically accepting "appointments" from Outlook when the resource isn't already booked, and publishing free/busy information that people could use in Outlooks "schedule-meeting" form?

Any suggestions gratefully received,
    Paul.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Resources without exchange (Outlook 2000, SR1)

I'm 99% sure you can't do this w/o Outlook 2k+ and Exchange 5.5. This combo lets the resources be handled at the server, so you don't need to have a client log on to the account. Also, unfortunately, you can only have one log on per PC.

Even though not having Exchange is a show stopper, here's a little out-of-the-box thinking. You could set up a PC with a true multi-tasking OS like OS2 or Linux, and run multiple Windows sessions. Each session could then run a separate Outlook session. I've seen this work on Red Hat with VMWare. A PIII 850 with 128MB of RAM could run 8 sessions. You wouldn't want to work in a session because of the response time, but it seemed to work fine otherwise.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Resources without exchange (Outlook 2000, SR1)

you really can't automate anything since the psts aren't sharable - but you can create a new calendar folder for each resource and publish that - as a web calendar. FB only works on the default calendar and to use it, you would need multiple profiles and log into them regularily to update the online FB. (This would be easier than separate computers but each would need their own email address - and you need to use corp mode of outloook.)

I would probably set up a webpage instead - you could let users request resources or add their own requests using a web form. For a LAN, PWS or IIS (depending on your OS) will handle it locally on one computer.