3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Website viewing problems on IE

Finally published my website and looks pretty good if I say so myself. (Not easy to pat one's own back).

I have found that on several public computers (i.e. senior center, beauty shop) that with IE browser my site is messed up.

The site is setup as a two column with a photo carrossel, video clips, and photo array.

Viewing in their IE browsers it becomes a ONE column site with the photos and clips all messed up.

I know it has a lot to do with the code, but I am not knowledgeable enough to keep it from happening.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Richard Spring

Thanks
    Have them view it in compatibility mode. In IE 11, Gear icon > Compatibility view settings > add the URL of your website.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 1,067 Posts
    It's very hard to suggest anything without knowing the URL in question and which IE versions are affected.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure what version of IE are on their computers. Will check some of them tomorrow. On my computer Firefox, Chrome, and IE all works as designed. Works on a friends iPad, iPhone, and my Android smart phone.
    I did not list the URL because I know it is usually removed by the administrator. I will list it, then they can remove it if that helps. .

My concern is that if they are running an older IE version and it is messed up, what about other viewers using older IE versions. Thought there was some code that would say "if the version of IE, then do this".

Thanks in advance,
    Last edited by ruirib; 2014-03-18 at 17:16. Reason: URL removed.
    Richard Spring

Administrator
    Thanks
    I tried using your site with IE in various emulation modes and there were no problems in any case (IE6, 7, 8, 9, 10). I wouldn't worry too much about it, this being the case.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Rui:

Just concerned me when six different computers (4 pcs and 2 laptops) all made the site a one column mess. Just want it to be seen as published.
    Richard Spring

Administrator
    Thanks
    One computer, one laptop, IE in multiple modes from IE 5 to IE 11. Never did it turn to a single column display.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Same computer (senior center) - on IE single column and messed up On Firefox same computer - two columns and works great.
    Well, back to the drawing boards. Will check with HostGater and BaseKit help groups for possible answers.

Thanks,
    Richard Spring

Administrator
    Thanks
    I did look at your contents to see if there was anything that could fail. It wasn't an exhaustive search, but I didn't see nothing and no matter how I tried to restrict IE's configuration, I never managed to get it on a single column.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My web site was working great until IE 10 and 11 came along. Then, I had similar problems with the browser messing up columns and picture placement. Compatibility mode solved the problem. I recently linked a web cam to the site and IE 10 and 11 displayed a frame with a red x in the upper-left corner until I switched that page to compatibility mode. Only had to do it once; displays perfectly now. I had to include instructions on the site to viewers/users, which is a pain, but it worked. I still don't know why IE 10 and 11 can't display my rather simple html. Perhaps it's the new html 5 support and MS's need for autonomy...

BTW, Chrome and Firefox both displayed the pages as published. My problem was only with Internet Explorer's rendition of the pages.
    Last edited by Bo Ritchings; 2014-03-27 at 12:33. Reason: Afterthought...