Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't seem to stop Skype opening at startup or at least to open minimized. This is what happened until several weeks ago. I've gone through the Vista software startup panel and unchecked Skype but no dice.
    This may be something connected to another problem about an unwanted startup. The Windows Explorer replacement xplorer2 also opens at startup and I can't find anywhere using both the Vista software startup panel or msconfig that even lists this as a startup item.
    Any ideas.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Look in option in Skype.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Already looked there, but nothing I do there helps. What would you have me do? What option should I choose?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Haskel Levi View Post
    Already looked there, but nothing I do there helps. What would you have me do? What option should I choose?
    Sorry I cant give exact wording, I only had it on for a short time but I think its to do with auto sign in.

Thanks
    Skype -> Tools -> Options

[attachment=90275:startSkype.GIF]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    There are 3 places in the registry where apps are set to start as Windows starts: note: backup the registry before making changes. Be very careful to select only those keys I have shown. Type Regedit in search or run boxes (depending on which version of Windows you are using)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows|\Curr entVersion\Run Delete any keys to programs you do not want to start at Windows Start Up.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows|\Cur rentVersion\Run Delete any keys to programs you do not want to start at Windows Start Up.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows|\CurrentVersion\Run Delete any keys to programs you do not want to start at Windows Start Up.

Start Up programs also are loaded through the Start Orb, All Programs, Start You can elliminate any apps you do not want to start when Windows starts. As an example, I have only my AV/AM app (MSE) and my Alps Touchpad app for my laptop. Everything else is prevented from starting until I choose to start them. Apps do not have to be running in the background to start quickly when needed.

BATcher shows the way to stop Skype, but these methods will allow you to quickly stop anything you do not want in it's tracks.

BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    There are 3 places in the registry where apps are set to start as Windows starts...
    And the rest, Ted! (although admittedly those are the main ones).

Running the inimitable Mark Russinovich's Autoruns utility gives you a huge amount of information about which programs and services get started at boot time and at logon time.

For those who require less detail, Microsoft's MSCONFIG (via Start -> Run -> type MSCONFIG in the box and press Enter; or otherwise) gives visibility of some of the above information, together with the facility to disable the startup via the tick box of a program next time round.
    This is probably a safer program for the unconfident user, rather than making direct changes to the registry.

And, as I always say, "Other fine startup information programs are available!"
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much to you all.
    I tried to eliminate things through autoruns. Didn't work.
    I tried to do the same through msconfig. Didn't work.
    I have not gone the registry keys route you suggest Ted, yet.
    What seems to have so far worked is to use a program called Soluto, something recommended at Window Secrets, to stop Skype at startup.
    But I did this very same Soluto fix earlier, and the problem came back. But as I say, things are working through this Soluto fix, so far.
    What I would like best of all is for something that used to happen, Skype opening at startup, but opening minimized. It's opening at startup maximized is an irritation I can do without.
    So that is the followup query, does anyone know how to get Skype to run at startup but in a minimized fashion.
    Thanks again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted and all,
    Well, the ugly Skype startup problem reared its head again.
    I now have edited the registry keys as you suggested, and after two reboots, and two manual openings of Skype (I conjectured that just opening Skype would make it reset its startup urges) the problem seems to have disappeared.

I deleted registry entries in the first two places in the registry that you recommended but I could not find the following:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows|\CurrentVersion\Run Delete any keys to programs you do not want to start at Windows Start Up.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thank you again.

Thanks
    Ted and all,
    Well, the ugly Skype startup problem reared its head again.
    I now have edited the registry keys as you suggested, and after two reboots, and two manual openings of Skype (I conjectured that just opening Skype would make it reset its startup urges) the problem seems to have disappeared.

I deleted registry entries in the first two places in the registry that you recommended but I could not find the following:

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thank you again.
    I should have mentioned that this key will only be present in a 64 Bit environment. You evidently have a 32 Bit OS. Glad it worked.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You can imagine how frustrated I am that Skype has once again raised it's ugly head, despite the registry fixes. I am assuming that turning it on manually resets the startup load even though the Skype options page does not show wanting to load Skype at startup. I go back to the registry and there it is once again. What can be causing this?

Do you have any idea at least of how to get Skype to start up in minimized form?

Thanks
    Do you have any idea at least of how to get Skype to start up in minimized form?
    Did you contact Skype for help ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't find anything about this on their forum but after searching for minutes I found a way to send them an email. I will inform all if they answer.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To avoid unwanted startup programs from insinuating themselves onto your system without your knowledge, try WinPatrol by BillP Studios - WinPatrol. I've been using it for a long time, with great results. It's unobtrusive, extremely low resource usage, with fabulous support, and the basic version is free. WinPatrol does a bunch of things, but what I like best is that it monitors all the various places where new startup programs might be put, warns you each time there is an attempt to add a new one, and lets you choose whether to allow it. If you're not familiar with the program that is trying to get added, you can (if you have paid $30 for the PLUS version) click a link to an online description of the program with a recommendation on whether it is safe and/or necessary to add. WinPatrol is on my short list of required software for any Windows system. For the record, despite how it might sound, I have no personal stake in BillP Studios or WinPatrol other than as a satisfied user.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just wanted to add my '+1' to Rodd's post regarding WinPatrol! I have used it with great success on our computers to control unwanted services and startup programs.

Regards,
    Brian
    Brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast