Thanks

GUTA515.tmp file important?

I have a Guta515.tmp file with a size of 48,890k in my C:\Program Files Directory.
    It seems that this is the only name and copy for this file on my computer.
    My search results are zero for this file.
    Anyone know where this file belongs? I have not deleted it because I fear it is needed somewhere.
    (I am from the 4k memory DOS days, and I just Have to keep my computer clean)

I have Windows 7 Pro. Using Avast! Free Antivirue, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro. and Win Patrol Free. I use Windows Live Mail with MS Firewall.
    GiddyUpGo "Learn from the Past, Live in Today, Prepare for the Future"

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,049 Posts
    That's a temporary file, probably the result of an installation of some program that then didn't clean up. I would say you can remove it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

GiddyUpGo (2014-03-18)

Thanks
    Anything with the .tmp designation can safely be deleted.
    As to trying to learn anything about it, try opening it up in notepad (hex editor) to see if
    you can garnish a real name or clue.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

GiddyUpGo (2014-03-18)

Thanks
    I deleted the guta515.tmp file.
    Then I got a guta514.tmp directory....Yes a directory with the .tmp extension. It is full of files with google name in them. Never had a directory with an extension before.
    So far they have stayed deleted. I am concerned that I may have a virus or something even tho I have run several different scans with nothing showing up.
    I will restore my computer with a saved Disk Image. I believe this will take care of my computer, but I will wonder about this Guta?...file and directory.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,049 Posts
    I don't think you need to restore to an earlier image. Folders with extensions are common. There is nothing in the behavior that you have described that makes me think of a virus. I would run a scan with your AV and Malwarebytes, if that makes you feel more comfortable.

P.S.: In accordance with your statement about google files inside the folder, a quick online search makes me think the file and folder may be related to Google Update, an utility from Google that runs periodically to ensure the updating of installed Google apps.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds like Google's automatic update service(s). Do you have/use Google Chrome or any other Google product?

If you open Services (click on the Start orb then enter services.msc in the Search programs and files text entry box), can you see one or more Google Update services?
    google.jpg
    Click to enlarge

I disable them but, in my experience, they are often miraculously re-enabled unless I delete corresponding entries in Task Scheduler.
    googletasks.jpg
    Click to enlarge

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

GiddyUpGo (2014-03-18)

Thanks
    I found no Chrome nor Google in Services. I have never installed Chrome. Only use Google if forced too! I found neither in Task Scheduler.
    Thank you all for your help. I may not know where the Guta? file and directory came from, but they have not returned back to my computer yet. I searched the registry and they were never there either.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Google Update is like a pest, very hard to eliminate/terminate/liquidate ...
    guta515.tmp and related folders/files of similar names are from Google Update app/program.
    If you install Google Update, these kind of files and folders are everywhere, very hard to eradicate. They are also duplicated/regenerated in multiple locations.
    Try this: On your problem PC, search for file/folder with name entries such as google update, gupdate, gu*, etc.
    Uninstall gudate does not eliminate those files and folders. In some cases, they are regenerated!
    After uninstall, you must do a thorough search of files and folder names mentioned above...
    Then delete them. Lastly, and a must, search and delete gupdate or similar google update names in the registry.

Better: Do a system drive image/backup + registry backup (or create a System Restore Point) before installing any software.
    Or ...
    use portable apps.
    Or ...
    use VM (virtual machine)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to scaisson For This Useful Post:

GiddyUpGo (2014-03-21)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scaisson View Post
    Google Update is like a pest, very hard to eliminate/terminate/liquidate ...
    guta515.tmp and related folders/files of similar names are from Google Update app/program.
    If you install Google Update, these kind of files and folders are everywhere, very hard to eradicate. They are also duplicated/regenerated in multiple locations.
    Try this: On your problem PC, search for file/folder with name entries such as google update, gupdate, gu*, etc.
    Uninstall gudate does not eliminate those files and folders. In some cases, they are regenerated!
    After uninstall, you must do a thorough search of files and folder names mentioned above...
    Then delete them. Lastly, and a must, search and delete gupdate or similar google update names in the registry.

Better: Do a system drive image/backup + registry backup (or create a System Restore Point) before installing any software.
    Or ...
    use portable apps.
    Or ...
    use VM (virtual machine)
    Thank you very much. I have searched and destroyed these files which as you stated were everywhere!
    I now know where and which program these came from. I let Avast! upgrade the engine and failed to uncheck the Google installs.

Thanks
    Opening up a file of unknown type via a hex editor to garner more information about it is an old Fred Langa tip I got long ago
    from one of his earlier Langa list articles. It can prove to be very useful in trying to pin these things down.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.