New Lounger
    Thanks

Template for an application training manual (how-to)?

Hello Everyone,

First off, I apologize if this question is being posted in the wrong room. I'll be quick......

I been asked to put together a very brief training manual on how to setup new vendors in our vendors database. I'd like the training manual to include screenshots and the steps needed to perform each task. I'd like to avoid the document being to wordy.

Does anyone know of any templates on the site or another site that I can use to get me started? I really appreciate the help.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if you'll find this helpful or not, but I'll post a link here: http://www.wordtemplatesonline.org/t...nual-template/

It looks like they have quite a few different templates that are printable. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether you can include screenshots. I'm looking forward to seeing if anyone else has further comments because I also need this information soon & it would cut down on the amount of research I have to do, too! Good luck with your training manual!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinWalsh View Post
    I'm not sure if you'll find this helpful or not, but I'll post a link here: http://www.wordtemplatesonline.org/t...nual-template/
    I followed the link and found the grammar a bit strange. For example: "All word templates provided in this website are fully designed and equipped with quality contents; however, you should consider addition as opportunity rather extra work. It will help you in preparing a master piece." Unfortunately there are several more examples of poor grammar on the same web page.

Perhaps I'm being a bit too much of a 'grammar nazi' but, if the purpose of a training manual is to convey information effectively, in my opinion any web page extolling a template's virtues needs to be similarly effective.

I found a link to MS Word template for a Professional manual. I have no idea whether it will be helpful but the description reads: "Use this template to create a user's manual or employee handbook. This template contains a title page, copyright page, table of contents, chapter pages, and an index."

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found How to Create a Training Manual in Word which offers advice on creating your own training manual.

The Windows Secrets Lounge itself had a similar topic in 2009 and further advice is available in How to Use MS Word to Make a User Manual.

Hope this helps...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If this only needs to be a 'very brief training manual' then a template with boilerplated sections is not going to fulfil the aim.

Whilst you could search around for ages to find a template, what is more important is to understand what your target audience NEEDS to know to complete their task. A brief user guide only has to fill in the gaps that the users don't already know. If they already know how to set up vendors on the old system they only need bridging info such as how to enter the right screens and new info requirements. This approach avoids authoring sections that don't add value to the task requirements.

Rather than looking for a 'template', I recommend you search instead for alternative training manuals for similar systems and see if you can pick up any good ideas on how the information can be presented. Then develop your own 'template' whilst preparing your content. If that solution includes screen shots and steps then you can create the styles on the fly.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks
    While other programs are likely good and may be free, I have found the TechSmith utility SnagIt to be very valuable for screenshots. The latest versions also allow for screen videos.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin