Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good thought. I had a very long session once over a similar issue with a Microsoft team. No interest in putting another afternoon into the can. Does anybody have a working number to a real Microsoftie for this kind of issue, should it come up?

Thanks
    One more thing. How do I identify what folders should be on the SSD? Or, put in other terms, what folders in a WIN7 PRO 64 bit should/can not be moved, at least not from the BOOT partition or boot drive? Or what folders can be moved? There is no e-mail traffic to/from this machine to speak of.
    Any folder that contains data that you generate, like Office documents, photos, video.
    Anyplace where you specifically store data can now be moved or place in an organized folder structure
    on one of the other drives.
    Another question concerns the best strategy for the Boot drive, the 250 GB SSD. No partitions? If partitions, what is a recommended strategy?
    Why partition, you don't need to partition. You have plenty of internal space.
    You will not be wasting space. All that free space will contribute to a more healthy and responsive SSD.
    A related question has to do with a Photoshop Elements 12 catalog. PSE 12 hosts a 50,000+ image database. Up to this time I have always kept DB catalogs, since the 1980s and mini-computers and main frames, separate from the data drives and from the system drives. But I wonder if there is now an advantage to moving the catalog to the SSD? Or a partition on the SSD?
    That's completely up to you, depending upon how often it is used (read/written to). If the answer is infrequent move it to another drive.
    The end product of photoshop should be stored elsewhere to cut down on filling up the primary drive.
    do I really need to migrate data off it? Shouldn't I just leave all there and then
    1) make the correct assignments for the WIN7 pre-defined folders ( documents, photos, etc) and
    2) delete all the system and executables?
    Pull whatever you need from it then format it.
    Start getting organized with a folder structure one of the internal drives. You can and should store all of your programs and drivers,
    organized around type with clearly marked version numbers.
    Something nobody touched on is the OP's copy of Windows an OEM version or a retail version? He should be prepared to call Microsoft to activate Windows because of all these hardware changes.
    Yeah, depending upon what he's got there, he might. I suspect it's a genuine Windows 7 upgrade disk.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-03-20 at 13:03.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Follow Paul Thurrott's article on clean installing from the upgrade disk.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep. A legit Microsoft Upgrade disk. (Also a 32-bit Win7 Pro disk for the other PC which will inherit the 'brains' of this one.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12