Thanks

Word 2010 - drawn freeform lines don't stay where drawn

Hi all,

I have a document that requires inserting a photograph. Once the photo is in place, I draw a line around a part of the photo. When I finish, the drawn line moves. I can then drag it back in place and it stays put. Is there an option or setting that causes this?

A little more info: The photo is centered in a table cell. The drawn line doesn't move to center, it just moves down, like it's snapping to a very large grid. Here's a couple of screenshots showing the before (while drawing) and after (once I let go of the left mouse button).

drawn line doesn't stay put.png

Thanks!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This is my best guess as to what might be happening - The issue you are experiencing is probably due to the way the freeform line has to anchor to a paragraph. When you start drawing it, its anchor position is probably not yet set. Once you stop drawing it, it probably snaps to the nearest paragraph. My own testing didn't indicate that my freeform shape moved as a stopped drawing but I could get the offset to appear if I changed the paragraph spacing afterwards.

If you put both the photo and the freeform line into a drawing canvas do you have the same problem? This is likely a better way to manage the 'group' of shape + photo since you don't want them to move independently.
    Last edited by Andrew Lockton; 2014-03-18 at 21:38.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks
    Somewhat off-topic. I use SnagIt for editing photos and drawings rather than Word, then paste the (usually .png) into Word. Its editing tools are much more intuitive (for me).

It will edit jpg and bmp files as well.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    Thanks Charles and Andrew,

Charles, I adore Snagit and use it daily. This would simplify the process for me. Unfortunately, this is going into a template for folks within and without a company and needs to be easy, easy, easy and not require a second program.

Andrew, you may be on to something when you refer to the paragraph mark. There is only the cell end mark in the table cell when the photo is placed. However, if I put a paragraph in the cell, it doesn't help -- the line still repositions itself. Personally, I think it's very easy to reposition the line after it moves, and it always stays put at that point. Apparently this used to work in a Word 2003 template where the line stayed put.

Perhaps this is just one of those differences between old Word and new Word?

Thanks again, Kim