Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Max Table Size? (97+)

Hi All,

Is there a max table size (bytes, row X cols)? Is there a max number of rows a table can have (somewhat independent of the first question or maybe they're related). Does the answer depend on memory?

My wife has a data base in a word file of 985KB which is 1 big table of 1945 rows by 9 cols. She just keeps adding to this for a client of hers. This is just for a mail merge. I've suggested converting to Access or Word but she doesn't work well in either of those.

Fred

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Max Table Size? (97+)

<P ID="edit" class=small>Edited by Phil Rabichow on 02-Dec-01 21:49.</P>Hi Fred:

In Word 2000, there is a 63 column limit on tables & a 32MB size limit on a file, but no limit on the number of rows. HOWEVER, I'm willing to bet that you won't get a good response from Word 2000 on a table that size. Tables are complex & Word 2000's ability to nest tables makes them a potential candidate for corruption. For overall limits on Word 2000, see Here it is.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Phil.

I don't think the col limit will be an issue since the table isn't growing that way. I'll see if I can get Andrea to switch to Excel or Access before she hits the file size limit (she's almost 1/32 of the way there).

Fred

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I would think Excel would be a good choice to move to. It works well in mail merges with Word and it's not nearly as complicated to learn as Access. I have to agree strongly with Phil about working with tables that large in Word. It's certainly been our experience that you're pretty much asking for trouble.

Lee Morgan

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the advice. I should have asked before but I'll ask now, especially since you indicated you had some experience. Even tho the KB article that Phil cited talked about theoretical max's, I know that things may often turn sour before reaching those limits. So about where would things become worse (slow response, slow mail-merge performance, possible file corruption, etc)?

As far as what to move to, that's a mixed bag. I've advocated Access in the past because I like it as a DB application. Andrea has worked with Access but either directly in the tables (and I ran queries and reports) or thru forms that were set up for her. She has developed Word forms for mail merge so she might be able to do this in Access. She's never done mail merge from Access (and neither have I). As far as Excel goes, she has a natural resistance to anything dealing with numbers, even tho this application would have nothing to do with them. I've done mail merges from Excel and use it all the time. So we'll have to make a decision at some time but not clear when.

Fred

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fred -

I'm not sure I can give you numbers in discussing when tables will go bad, because I expect it depends on how the table is set up. I think that the core of the problem is that it takes quite a bit of memory to display a table in Word. For example, one of the things I've read about problem tables suggests working on them in the normal view instead of the print layout view because it requires less memory to display. I expect that the more lines there are in a table that wrap within a cell, the harder it is to display, and that using borders and/or shading can add to the problem.

It has been my experience in working with our users that documents with large, complex tables are slow and unwieldy and more prone to corruption. Now, in our case, since we migrated from Word Perfect to Word a few years ago and still have descendants of Word Perfect documents on our system, table problems are sometimes hard to separate from conversion problems.

My personal guideline is that if the table is going to be more than 8 or 10 pages, it's a good idea to move it to Excel. And, on a side issue, it always bothers me when people associate Excel only with numbers. It's such a great program. Before I had Outlook and a Contacts list, I used to keep address lists in Excel all the time because of the ease of sorting and of doing merges. As a trainer, I face that issue a lot and always tell people that anything that is in a rows and columns format can be done nicely in Excel rather than in a Word table, unless the text in any cell is going to exceed 1,024 characters.

Lee Morgan

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Lee,

Thks for the input. At 1900 rows, I think the table exceeds the 8-10 page limit - easily.

As far as Excel usage goes, when spreadsheets first came out - with VisiCalc, some people used them for word processing (in the early 80's). I think an evaluation criteria for spreadsheets was how well it supported word processing. Of course, word processors were also well established at the time.

Now, I don't do that and never did. But I do know people TODAY who still use Excel for word processing. Some of them even design web pages on them!

As a trainer, I do get asked why not use Excel for word processing. The examples I give are things like lists and Word's ability to automatically number items in a list and allow you to insert a new item and get the subsequent ones renumbered (as long as your list doesn't get corrupted by Word). There are lots of other things also but not many people use things like TOC's, indexes, cross references, etc. - things that Excel can't do.

I also tell people that Excel may have advantages over Word for table usage - if you have lots of cols. In Word, you can't get many cols even in landscape mode. Excel lets you have lots of cols, you can hide some, and Excel will print them out (of course, not necessarily on 1 piece of paper).

Fred

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Fred:
    I use tables quite a bit & find that I can go beyond 8-10 pages. But with a Pentium II, 600MH processor & 128MB RAM, loading the file & redraw when scrolling starts to be somewhat noticeable after about 25 pages...& printing takes awhile. I've used about 15 columns & a couple hundred entries on mail merge without problems, (except that you can't read a 15 column table with names, addresses, etc.).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

I didn't think the 8-10 page limit was a very hard one. Andrea's table has about 9 cols but nearly 2000 rows (and the rows will grow). She uses a 3xx MHz Pentium (don't recall the last 2 digits) with 128 MB RAM.

But she might be close, if not over, the 25 pages. I'll ask her about the redraw/scrolling. I know she never prints it. I think she never does a full mail-merge but does some filtering on some field.

Good to know. Thanks.

Fred