New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Automatic Field Updating

I have inserted a footer with the field from Quick Parts - File Name.

File 1 is the original file - if I now save this file as File 2 the File Name filed does not update automatically.

On opening file 2 again the File Name is still shown as File 1 - I can however manually right click on the field and update it.

I want to know how on either saving this document as a new file or on re opening the new file this field is automatically updated.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    It will never automatically update when you save to a different name. If in a header or footer it should update when you print.

You could intercept the Save and Save As commands to cause them to update this field, but this requires macros rather than simply fields.

I often simply do Ctrl+A, F9 and update all fields in the body of a document. Depends on what fields are there.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Kenyon View Post
    I often simply do Ctrl+A, F9 and update all fields in the body of a document. Depends on what fields are there.
    That doesn't update header/footer content, though, which is where FILENAME fields often go. For that, a Print Preview is usually sufficient.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]