5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Giving Win8's Hyper-V virtualization a spin

BEST SOFTWARE

Giving Win8's Hyper-V virtualization a spin

By Douglas Spindler

There are many good reasons to set up virtual machines on a Windows PC, including testing new configurations and saving old ones.

Win8 Pro and Enterprise come with Microsoft's Hyper-V application; here's a detailed tour of how it works.

The full text of this column is posted at http://windowssecrets.com/best-softw...zation-a-spin/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the overview. I ran into Hyper-V when researching VT-x in the BIOS. I use VirtualBox and wanted to upgrade the Android install I had, using Freds instructions in the last newsletter. It requires VT-x on but WinXP and Linux didn't.

One thing I ran into was reports that Hyper-V may hog VT-x, preventing other virtualization software from using it. There's a command line you can use to switch Hyper-V on and off if you have this problem and want to use VirtualBox for something else, like iOS.
    See comment 5 here:
    https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41258

Also, theres Hyper-V Manager instructions here - they don't mention a version of Win7 required, just upgrades needed:
    http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/hyper-...-need-to-know/

(I've not tried either of these - just providing the links)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I run Win 8.1 Pro. When I run Systeminfo, under the Hyper-V requirements it says everything is OK except "Virtualization Enabled in Firmware" says "No."

Can update the firmware or otherwise enable virtualization?

I've tried to use VirtualBox, but the installation process stalls and never finishes.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed Windows 7 home premium 64 as a virtual machine but it does not recognise virtual nic. I have also have virtualbox installed will this effect the vnic.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The author states "Win8 Pro and Enterprise come 'with Microsoft's Hyper-V application". I remembered seeing Hyper-V listed in System info and wondering what it was. Checking again I see 'Virtualization enabled in Firmware', but I only have Win 8 basic, so would it be a waste of time trying to set up Hyper-V?

I ask as the owner of an excellent scanner which is not compatible with Win8, and have begun to wonder whether it would be possible to use it with XP in a VM, or is that beyond the capabilities of a VM?