New Lounger
    Thanks

Move to MS Outlook from GMail

I use to be an avid Outlook user, especially in the corporate environment. I drifted away from Outlook to GMail for it's ability to manage multiple email accounts. I don't like storing my email on the server (I'd like to at least be have a local backup), but I do like having all of my email accessible from any ware and on my phone and tablets. Has anyone moved from GMail to Outlook? Any advantage or pitfalls in making this move? Is there a method to make my email in Outlook available on the web to all of my devices (maybe with Onedrive or Dropbox)?

I would love to hear your feedback!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I recommend you migrate to Outlook.com. You may use Outlook to access Outlook.com email. Using IMAP accounts your email will be available on all your devices. See the links at migrate from gmail to outlook for details on migration.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe! I tried the link that you gave me and probably 98% of the links were for migrating to Outlook.com (frustrating). If you migrate to Outlook.com, is there seamless syncing between Outlook.com and Outlook 2013? I still would love to have local copies (another form of backup).

I should mention that my phone and some of my tablets are on Android, so I would need seamless syncing of my address book and Calendar between both platforms.In the past I researched doing both, and address book was mostly doable, but Calendar was only one-way (GMail to Outlook).

I guess I'm asking for a lot, but the idea behind software is to setup and forget about it, or at least do very light maintenance...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zoxxo View Post
    Thanks Joe! I tried the link that you gave me and probably 98% of the links were for migrating to Outlook.com (frustrating). If you migrate to Outlook.com, is there seamless syncing between Outlook.com and Outlook 2013? I still would love to have local copies (another form of backup).

I should mention that my phone and some of my tablets are on Android, so I would need seamless syncing of my address book and Calendar between both platforms.In the past I researched doing both, and address book was mostly doable, but Calendar was only one-way (GMail to Outlook).

I guess I'm asking for a lot, but the idea behind software is to setup and forget about it, or at least do very light maintenance...
    Yes. Outlook.com is just the newest name for Hotmail although the web interface has been significantly updated.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I understand that Outlook.com is the newer more streamlined version of Hotmail. I even have an Outlook.com account somewhere up in the cloud. I guess I should tell you how my GMail setup works for better understanding. I have all of my email accounts (2 personal, 3 GMail, 3 Hotmail/Outlook, 1 other) forwarded into one GMail account. GMail was kind enough to tag each incoming email with the originating email account. When I needed to reply to an email, all I did was select the email address from a drop down and hit send. Same with composing new email.

I don't mind having the email on GMail or Outlook.com, but I would like to have email, contacts, calendar, and tasks all synced into a local PST file. It also would be nice to be able to fire up Outlook 2013 and send/receive from the local client.

I consider myself an advanced user so I've been around the block several times with Outlook. I know I could set this whole thing up, but I guess I'm just wanting to see if anyone else has tried this and if they have any feedback on setting up and using this configuration...

Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you use Outlook (the program) to access an Outlook.com account and do a default setup you will not have a PST file. You will have an OST file.

Joe