Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question How to adjust aspect ratio and size of site videos?

Have been trying to figure this out reading articles, Googling, talking to vendor but without success, so it's time for the Lounge, my lifeline!

Background
    • have a WordPress site on which I've posted 3 videos, purchased from a stock photo vendor
    • all 3 downloaded as MOV files (other options were MP4, WMV)
    • converted MOV to FLV since MOV won't work in WordPress
    • uploaded FLV files to site and they work but...
    • there are gray bars on the top and bottom
    • apparently this is an aspect ratio issue
    • suspect original ratio is 16:9 and I need 4:3 since image target locations are square frames (see screenshot)

Questions
    • how do I change aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3 without having to purchase yet another program?
    • once aspect ratio is correct, how do I figure out the correct size so images will fit in frames?

Any suggestions or links to non-techy explanations would help. I've tried and tried but nothing seems to work.

Thanks for any help offered,

Linda
    Video Screenshot.JPG

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    What is the name and version number of the software you are using to convert your MOV files to FLV?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Clint,

I used http://www.online-convert.com/ - no download to do first. Not sure of version; couldn't find it on site, but will keep looking if you need it.

Linda

Thanks
    The site you are going to is a simple video converter only, it does not perform video editing. (is what you are asking for)

If you have Windows Movie Maker, you may be able to edit (change aspect ratio) and or convert as well.

Windows Movie Maker how to
    change aspect ratio with Windows Movie Maker

Movie Maker is part of the Windows Live set of tools.

Best free video editing software: 9 top programs you should download
    No Hollywood budget, no problem: 5 best free video editing programs
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-03-21 at 13:10.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    An added note:
    .MOV is a proprietary compression algorithm developed by Apple Computer for use in QuickTime media software.
    You may need to convert it to a format that can be opened in Movie Maker, perform your aspect ratio editing, then convert it to a format which WordPress accepts.

Thank you for your link to Free online file converter, it looks like a very useful free and simple video converter for short videos.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-03-21 at 13:33.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Clint. Yes, I realized it was a simple converter ... just wasn't sure where to go to adjust the ratio and sizing for the frame.

I have Windows Movie Maker. Have used it to create videos from slides, but didn't realize I could edit a video there. Will check out your links. Thanks.

Will the other links help me answer the 2 questions: how to change the ratio and how to know the size to make finished edit so it will fit into frames?

The converting was so easy but these next steps are proving a bit challenging for me!

Appreciate your help, as always. The things you know about continue to amaze - and impress! - me!!

Linda

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    One caveat if you suspect/expect the original video is 16:9 is that a simple aspect ratio conversion will only serve to "scrunch" the 16:9 video into a 4:3 ratio. Works great for a before and after weight loss video eh? To get 16:9 video into 4:3 ratio it either has to maintain the bars above and below or you need to crop a certain percentage of each side of the video to make it fit 4:3 without distortion.

Thanks
    Will the other links help me answer the 2 questions: how to change the ratio and how to know the size to make finished edit so it will fit into frames?
    How to Get Rid of Black Bars in Windows Live Movie Maker Videos
    Yes, you will have the option to change aspect ratios to either 4:3 (full screen) or 16:9 (widescreen) with the above link.

You will need to convert the .mov file to a format usable in Movie Maker first though. (your online converter will do that)
    Video files accepted in Movie Maker: .asf, .avi, .dvr-ms, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg, .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv

Give it a go and see how it works for you.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

Thanks
    FUN is right, you might end up with distorted videos. You may need to experiment.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4134908AAe3Pci
    1. The original video might be custom-sized and not fit the normal widescreen dimensions. If you're making your own original videos (and not downloading them from another source), check your camera settings.

2. Are you converting the original videos? If you are, use "Options" or "Settings" after you select a format to select one of the usual widescreen sizes. If the original videos are custom-sized, doing this might distort them. "Experiment" with a short clip.

3. On Movie Maker's Project tab, be sure 16:9 is selected.

4. When you save your project as a movie, be sure to select a widescreen (720 or 1080) option. If you need a 720p option and don't see one, you can make your own using "Create custom setting...." at the bottom of the list that appears when you click "Save Movie". At the top, where it says <New>, give your setting a name (Like 720p). Then, for width, type in 1280 and for height, 720. The units should be pixels. If you're in the US, the frame rate should be 30 fps. You don't have to mess with the rest. Click OK. When you click on Home tab>Save Movie, you'll see your new setting in the "Recent Settings" section.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First, F.U.N. downtown, I know what you mean: that's just what happened on one of my attempts.

Second, Clint, even more excellent and practical help. I'm going to play around with all this and post back how I do. I feel much better equipped to experiment now!

Many, many thanks to both of you for all the help,

Linda

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but I'm not sure it's been established where the gray bars are coming from. Are they embedded in the video itself? Or are they being added by the player because the content is a different ratio than the player?

If you see them when playing the .mov file or .flv file locally in your media player (Quicktime, Windows Media Player, etc), then they're embedded in the video. Simply changing the aspect ratio in Movie Maker won't fix that.

If you don't see the bars when playing your local copy but they show up on your website, then the problem is your web code, not the video. You should look to see if you can adjust the code on your website to view the content in a 16:9 frame instead of a 4:3 frame.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmm. Okay, I checked as dg indicated (haven't yet tried Movie Maker).

Results:
    - Bars show when playing downloaded file in any format (MOV, WMV, FLV) in a player.
    - Bars are not there in the original video I downloaded, BUT it is in a wide screen format on the stock photo site

Questions:
    - Does this not mean it's a ratio thing since my site frames are square or, I assume, 4:3?
    - Or is it the Flash player that is 4:3?

Given this, do I still go ahead with the previous solutions (adjust ratio using Movie Player)?

Linda

Thanks
    You can try experimenting with it, but I'm leaning towards dg1261;
    If you don't see the bars when playing your local copy but they show up on your website, then the problem is your web code, not the video. You should look to see if you can adjust the code on your website to view the content in a 16:9 frame instead of a 4:3 frame.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm confused by the contradictory statements, "Bars are not there in the original video I downloaded" vs. "Bars show when playing downloaded file"?

IAC, I think ultimately your goal should be to keep the video in its native aspect ratio throughout. If it's 16:9 on the stock photo site:

1. download to your computer in 16:9 format
    2. convert file format, retaining 16:9 ratio
    3. upload to your website
    4. adjust web code to display in a 16:9 frame

You need to determine where it's falling out to 4:3. You don't want to convert it to 4:3, you want it to stay 16:9 all the way.

I think most media players you might have on your local machine (Quicktime, Windows Media Player, VLC Media Player, et al) will by default resize the playback window to fit the aspect ratio of the video, so it should be easy to determine the aspect ratio after steps 1 and 2.

In step 1, did the file download as 16:9? Test it in your local player.

After step 2, is it still 16:9? Test it in you local player. If it changed to 4:3 with gray bars, then your conversion program is at fault. You need to find a better conversion program and then do the conversion again. (Perhaps try Freemake Video Converter.)

I don't use WordPress, but I assume step 3 isn't a problem. I'll assume WordPress doesn't alter the uploaded file, so if it's 16:9 it should still be 16:9 after uploading.

For step 4, web players--in contrast with local media players--don't resize so they presume a certain size and aspect ratio. If your video and the web player's presumptions don't match, the player may show bars on top/bottom or left/right. If that's the case, see if you can edit your web code so it matches your 16:9 video.

It's important to note the distinction between step 2 and 4. In step 2 the video itself is altered by embedding gray bars. In step 4 the video isn't altered, the web player merely shows bars to fill the gaps in the display.

As an illustration of step 4, I've uploaded a quick-and-dirty demo here. This demo shows three iframes displaying the exact same video. There's only one video file, but you'll see top/bottom or left/right bars depending on the size of the iframe. Right-click and look at the html source to see how the iframes differ.

Dan Goodell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wow, thanks so much, Fabulous information. Will get into it tomorrow when I'm fresher and it can sink in. Want to follow your directions step by step.

How I got into this is the WordPress developer who's doing some technical things on our site that are beyond me said this when I asked him to remove the borders/bars: Those are there due to the aspect ratio. This is something that you will need to look at in your software. This is not a website issue.

I've been asking my questions and trying all I tried before coming here because of this statement. Perhaps I misinterpreted what he meant.

Ah well. It will all make better sense with a clearer head.

Back to you then and thanks again for all the help,

Linda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast