5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How Good is Comodo Antivirus?

I am setting up a new laptop running Win8.1 to replace my wife's old WinXP PC. I was looking for a good free antivirus and saw where Fred Langa listed several in a recent article in the WindowsSecrets newsletter. One of those listed was Comodo and I installed it. As far as I can tell it is working fine but it brought along with it something called GeekBuddy. GeekBuddy keeps telling me about various 'problems' on this new computer. For example, it says the registry contains 810 junk entries, and the computer is running low on virtual memory. Those sound more like come-ons than real problems to me! I don't know why the registry on this new computer would contain a lot of junk entries and I don't actually know what this virtual memory actually is.

Does anyone know anything about Comodo as an antivirus or GeekBuddy as a problem solver?

I didn't choose one of the more common free antivirus names like AVG and Avast from Fred's list because I keep seeing stuff added to the bottom of email messages I receive that say they were checked by one of these programs. I don't want that stuff added to the messages going out of this laptop.

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    didn't choose one of the more common free antivirus names like AVG and Avast from Fred's list because I keep seeing stuff added to the bottom of email messages I receive that say they were checked by one of these programs.
    This message can be disabled in AVG.
    Tools -> Advanced Settings... -> E-mail Protection -> E-mail Scanner -> uncheck Certification boxes and click OK.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that Jerry. I had wondered if that was possible.
    Bill

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You must have missed the bundled option when you installed Comodo which can be uninstalled from Programs and Features, although not always successful.

Probably the best option would be to run the Comodo Uninstaller in Safe Mode with Networking and after, check to see if Geekbuddy is still listed in Progs and Features and uninstall it from there, as it appears to be closely linked to Comodo which may account for the failed uninstall Google posts.

You could then reinstall Comodo and choose a Custom install if offered or look for the check boxes to decline the Geekbuddy optional bundle.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, I don't remember if I installed GeekBuddy intentionally to see what it is or if I missed it. I decided to try simply uninstalling it and that seems to have done the job. As usual with a lot of uninstalling, that may have left some remnants on the hard drive and in the registry.

Thanks,
    Bill

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I use Iobit Uninstaller which has a deep clean and file shred option and while it can leave the odd empty folders, it roots out the bits that Windows would normally leave, but at least the normal reinstall has stopped the annoying pop ups.

I read that Geekbuddy would pop up when Comodo had found an infection which would take you to a tech for a paid for session to remove the infection and doubles up for a remote connection for anyone conned into doing that.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    ... I read that Geekbuddy would pop up when Comodo had found an infection which would take you to a tech for a paid for session to remove the infection and doubles up for a remote connection for anyone conned into doing that.
    Well, it did keep on suggesting that I get a live person involved. It never said if there was a charge and I never agreed to get one involved so I don't know how much the charge would have been.

Bill