New Lounger
    Thanks

SkyDrive/OneDrive and Classic Shell Conflict

I recently noticed that SkyDrive (the soon to be rebranded OneDrive) was no longer running at startup on my Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit machine. After doing some investigating, I found that that the SkyDrive Sync Engine Host wasn't present in Task Manager. I downloaded and ran the SkyDrive troubleshooter from Microsoft - it would restore SkyDrive, but it would disappear again as soon as I shut down and restarted the computer.

Finally, I put two and two together and realized the SkyDrive issue coincided with my installing the latest version of Classic Shell. I did a series of uninstalls/installs with Classic Shell - every time, SkyDrive would run normally with Classic Shell removed from my system.

SkyDrive runs fine with trials of either StartIsBack+ or Start8 installed. I haven't tested any other Start Menu replacements yet.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to squibbon For This Useful Post:

MikeyTG1024 (2014-03-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting. I am personally happy to hear this. I don't use SkyDrive and have been trying to stop it from causing Event Errors when it sync's. I use Classic Shell and really like and depend on it. So, this is good news for me!

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Maybe it should occur to you guys to just drop the very unnecessary Classic Shell type stuff. I can give you some nice tips for using Win8.1 & navigating it and they sure don't include unnecessary 3rd Party Add-ons. 8.1 can be used very happily w/out trying to dress it up as something it's not.

And, no, this is not said w/ any desire for a debate about unneeded 'start' stuff for 8.1

Think about this... You have a Microsoft OS. It plays nicely w/ 'family members'. If there is a conflict w/ something from outside 'the family', then, maybe, just maybe, one would be better off w/out what is causing the conflict; and the cause is not the OS.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2014-03-28 at 00:12.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Maybe it should occur to you guys to just drop the very unnecessary Classic Shell type stuff. I can give you some nice tips for using Win8.1 & navigating it and they sure don't include unnecessary 3rd Party Add-ons. 8.1 can be used very happily w/out trying to dress it up as something it's not.

And, no, this is not said w/ any desire for a debate about unneeded 'start' stuff for 8.1

Think about this... You have a Microsoft OS. It plays nicely w/ 'family members'. If there is a conflict w/ something from outside 'the family', then, maybe, just maybe, one would be better off w/out what is causing the conflict; and the cause is not the OS.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg
    The "very unnecessary Classic Shell type stuff"? Don't you think that's a bit arrogant, Drew? Do you honestly think you know what is best for all computer users?

Here's an idea for the OP: Maybe it's time that he drop the unneeded upgrade to Windows 8.1. That's what I did, and I immediately returned to the very pleasing and satisfying experience of Windows 8.0 with that "very unnecessary" StartIsBack add-in installed.

Maybe, just maybe, this would be what would resolve the issue for the OP.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    No arrogance, at all... not 'telling' anyone what they should or should not do. I've always said that stuff can be used but, that it is not, actually, necessary. Some of the thinking that it is necessary may come from a lack of awareness or understanding of how 8.1 can be used or of some helpful, valuable things that can make using it really nice.

In some cases I have seen talk of issues & conflicts w/ these 3rd party 'start' things and am only meaning to let people know all that could be avoided. A lot of it is 'media' that has made people think they can't manage 8.1 w/out adding these things. It's not necessarily the case but, I do always allow for "each to their own" but, at the same time, just trying to enlighten or educate so people are aware of all options available.

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    No arrogance, at all... not 'telling' anyone what they should or should not do. I've always said that stuff can be used but, that it is not, actually, necessary. Some of the thinking that it is necessary may come from a lack of awareness or understanding of how 8.1 can be used or of some helpful, valuable things that can make using it really nice.

In some cases I have seen talk of issues & conflicts w/ these 3rd party 'start' things and am only meaning to let people know all that could be avoided. A lot of it is 'media' that has made people think they can't manage 8.1 w/out adding these things. It's not necessarily the case but, I do always allow for "each to their own" but, at the same time, just trying to enlighten or educate so people are aware of all options available.

Cheers,
    Drew
    I really don't care how something "can" be used. I care about how "I" use it.

For me, the "metro" interface is a huge hindrance to my ability to work at the computer. On the other hand, the "desktop" interface is a real workhorse, allowing me to be very productive at the computer. I say this from experience, because when I first installed Windows 8, I put no special add-ons with it; I used it out of the box, determined to learn for myself how it was. I hated it. After about a month, I installed StartIsBack, and I fell in love with Windows 8.

However, I fully recognize that there are those, such as yourself, who love the new interface, and who love Windows 8.1. I would not presume to tell you that my way is better, because it's not. It's just that it's better for me.

And for a lot of other people, I gather, based on the posts which always occur when this topic comes up.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Jim,

Yes, no argument , certainly, each to their own & that's a cool thing about Windows... lots of choice in how one uses it or what approach is taken.

As far as what you have said about "Metro" vs "Desktop"... if by "Metro" you are referring to the Start screen & the ALL APPs screen... due to no particular 'hatred', I spend 100% of my time on Desktop. Don't go to Start or ALL APPs screens except occasionally to Search for something. I access everything, all Store APPs & any Program (software) applications w/out ever leaving Desktop, w/out ever needing to change screens. My only point is just to let folks know that this is possible w/out the Add-ons. Ergo, there is "Out-of-the-box", adding 3rd Party things OR the info I have offered to people. The approach to which I refer is what I give clients new to 8.1 & w/out exception, they love it. But, certainly, nothing says it must be done that way or even that it should be. Just an alternative that may, also, have some appeal, merit & value. That's all.

Cheers,
    Drew
    290_Windows8_1.jpg

Thanks
    And that's perfectly valid. Your opinions are valued, as are all opinions and observations expressed at Windows Secrets Forums.