New Lounger
    Thanks

Black screen followed by startup repair failure

Starting few months ago, I would occasionally get a black screen crash. When I rebooted, the system would go into startup repair, which then failed. I'd do a system restore which would loop back to start up repair. If I rebooted to safe mode, the event log did not show anything for the original failure, just a later error (event 6008) showing that the previous shutdown was unexpected. If I then reboot normally, everything would appear to be fine. Starting on Monday, I began to get these black screens again only very frequently, a few times a day, and each time startup repair would fail. I'd do a system restore, and loop back to startup repair and startup repair failure. I could boot normally, and get a few hours of use, but then black screen again.

I ran chkdsk and no errors were found. Following Sony's advice (this is a Vaio with Win7 Home Premium), I reset the BIOS to factory defaults. Made no difference. I rebuilt the Registry, rebooted, went into Startup Repair and startup repair failure again. I then ran bootrec with the parms /fixmbr, /fixboot, /rebuildbcd. All completed successfully. Rebooted, startup repair, failure etc.

I don't have Win7 disk - none of our computers shipped with them - nor do I know anyone who has one. Before I buy one on Ebay, I'm wondering if there is something else I can try.

Any help much appreciated.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    What were you doing on the computer at the time of the black screen crash?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Each time it was something different. Most recently, I was running a Norton Anti-Virus scan. Before that, each time I had a few tabs open in Firefox and sometimes was playing a game online, but sometimes just generally viewing web pages.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It could be memory or the video drivers if it doesn't occur in Safe Mode, although there would be less demand on the RAM in Safe Mode.

If it doesn't occur in Safe Mode with Networking then go to your computer support site and download the Chipset/Video drivers.

A quick test of the memory can be done by removing one of the RAM modules then booting up normally to see if the black screens still occur and then doing the same with just the other module installed.

Memtest86+ is a much more in depth test as you would run it on 7 - 8 passes on each stick and can take hours to complete - usually done overnight.

For your interest, a free Win 7 SP1 ISO can be downloaded from http://www.w7forums.com/threads/offi...wnloads.12325/ and you can use http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool to create a bootable USB/DVD.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-03-21 at 18:27.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

stardancer (2014-03-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Sudo15, I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. After testing extensively in Safe Mode w/networking, I went to the video drivers. First I reloaded the base set and one update that I had not previously loaded. Still encountered failures. Found another video driver that was listed as an Audio/Video driver but was for the Nvidia card. I loaded that. I also found a BIOS update that specified it was to "prevent cpu overheating". That was about 48 hours ago, and I've had no failures since. It does seem to me that video is somewhat slow to load now but I don't really have a way to measure it. Thanks also for the tips on Memtest86+ and the Win 7 ISO.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    OEM Nvidia drivers can be funny so you need to ensure that you have the correct one.

Go Start - type msinfo32 - press Enter then expand Components/Display - this will tell what graphics you have installed and give a VEN & DEV number for the driver, but not sure if it will now display what you have installed or what it should be, if different.

Do you have dual graphics installed, as the way you have mentioned the Nvidia card would suggest that ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I got the video drivers from the Sony website as being specifically for this model so I'm guessing they are the right ones. msinfo32 just shows the version I just installed. I don't have dual graphics. The GPU is a Nvidia GEForce G210M, no dual graphics as far as I know. I shut the system down last night and today the graphics seem to be at normal speed. Perhaps something else was going on. Still no system further system failures.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That sounds like good news and job done