Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 extremely slow when booting up, freezes

Hello, I've been procrastinating on fixing this for about a month now but I recently got the spine in order to do this.

My laptop is a Windows 7, HP Pavilion dm4. I've been using it for around two years now, and at the beginning of December I turned it on and (I believe) it started to update. It took forever to update, and I think I rebooted it - to which it started the update process again. I *think* it finished updating, but after that the laptop started to become extremely slow, and I can't even use it. I've tried almost every solution on the web and couldn't fix it, so I'd appreciate you guys' wisdom.

Let me describe it the best I can - as of now, when I reboot it (accomplished by holding the power button down for a couple of seconds, waiting, then pressing it to start up again) it loads to the Windows Error Recovery screen, with four choices - Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and Start Windows Normally.

I've tried booting it in Safe Mode (which usually works well - takes around 7 minutes to get me to the desktop) but the desktop is all black, and I have no idea what to do in there - tried running Command Prompt in Administrator mode and sfc /scannow *but* it stalls around at 51%, and then says "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation", which is pretty frustrating.

Safe Mode with Networking and Command Prompt get me nowhere - tried doing the Command Prompt without elevating it to administrator mode and the same problem occurred.

A while ago, Start Windows Normally, after a couple of minutes (10-15) *usually* got me to the desktop, where it then became totally unresponsive and froze, but now (after trying a System Restore a couple days back), after getting me to the start screen (where you enter your password), it goes all black (though my cursor's still there), and I can't get out of it besides rebooting it. I think I've waited a maximum of 20 minutes before rebooting it.

I've tried System Restore, rebooting in Safe Mode and sfc /scannowing, and all to no avail. Was this caused by a virus (I run MSE) or a bad Windows Update? Help?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration to see if that will get you back in ?

Failing that, select Repair your Computer then navigate to the Recovery Environment to select Startup Repair.

It's advised to run this up to three times if it continually reports that it is unable to fix.

If you are now able to get in, open a command prompt as an administrator and run chkdsk in read-only mode by entering chkdsk which will display its report in the cmd window, noting any bad files/sectors.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Cursed Pride (2013-12-29)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't get into Last Known Good Configuration - I'm pressing F8 yet it goes to the Windows Error Recovery screen, not to the Advanced Boot Options.

How do I get to Repair My Computer without a recovery disc (which I never made, natch)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have access to another machine then you can download a Win 7 SP1 ISO from http://www.w7forums.com/threads/offi...wnloads.12325/ ensuring that you select the version that matches your OS and you can use http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool to create a bootable USB/DVD.

Only select USB if your computer supports booting from an USB before the HDD.

On the affected computer go into the BIOS (maybe F2 as you switch on), navigate to Boot and move the USB or CD/DVD Player to the first Boot order.

Insert the USB/DVD - press F10 to Save and Exit then Press any key to boot from USB/DVD when prompted.

The next steps can vary with make & model, but if it boots to the Windows splash screen, select the Repair option.

If it gives you a black screen with some options, press F8 then Command Prompt which will eventually take you to the Windows splash screen.

The Repair option will eventually take you to the Recovery Environment where you can select Startup Repair.

If the three Startup Repairs fail, navigate back to the Recovery Environment and select Command Prompt and enter these cmds -

bcdedit |find "osdevice" - this cmd will confirm the drive that your OS is installed in - usually C:

And assuming C: enter sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows

In the first cmd that is a Pipe symbol before the word find and in the second, there is a space before each forward slash.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Will try that.. now.

Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Can I get step-by-step instructions for this?

At the moment, I've been using my Mac to download the files and putting my USB in them, but I can't drag the files and copy it over to my USB drive - it displays the stop sign when I'm doing it.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The SP1 ISO is ~3.09GB so there may not be enough free space on the USB, but for the ISO to be bootable, you can't just copy it onto a disk or USB which is why you need the Windows USB/DVD burner to create the bootable media.

Which instructions are you unclear about ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    The SP1 ISO is ~3.09GB so there may not be enough free space on the USB, but for the ISO to be bootable, you can't just copy it onto a disk or USB which is why you need the Windows USB/DVD burner to create the bootable media.

Which instructions are you unclear about ?
    Yeah, I downloaded the SPI ISO and the Windows 7-USB-DVD-tool, but I don't know what to do with them. I have them sitting on my Mac desktop, and I can't copy them over to a USB drive.

How do I use the Windows-7-USB-DVD-tool? At the moment I have the Windows 7 laptop that's having problems, a Mac, and a 16G USB drive.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The Windows burner will need to be run on a Windows machine, but instead of drag & drop, do you have the Send to option on a Mac as you do on a Windows based machine where you right click on the file to copy an existing file onto the USB or DVD.

When you run the Windows burner, click on Browse then on the ISO and then Open and then you'll have the option of selecting USB or DVD but if you are going to use an USB as the bootable media, then there can't be anything else on it so a 4GB stick would be more suitable.

Are you still able to boot into Safe Mode on the Windows machine to create this media or would you be able to use a friend's or relative's Windows machine to download the ISO and burner afresh and create it on that.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Just been having a dig around to see why the drag & drop doesn't work on your Mac and one reason could be if the USB is formatted to NTFS instead of FAT32 as a Mac cannot write to NTFS.

The Paragon program mentioned in http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/swi...ory-stick.html isn't a freebie http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/ but someone else on the forum may know of other free software or a trial version of something that can do this, if the Mac is the only machine that you have access to.

This one may work http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support...-os-master-dl/ but I have no guidance for you as to how it is implemented.

Here is some more info http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/app...rives-in-os-x/ but it's assuming this is the reason for the drag & drop not working.

As you probably have quite a lot of other stuff on the 16GB stick, then using a DVD as the bootable media is probably the better option.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-01-03 at 11:52.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, so let's do this again.

I obtained access to a Windows machine and downloaded both the .ISO file and the download tool.

However, I can't select the .ISO file, even though I have both on my desktop. Help?

(The download tool prompts me to choose an ISO file but it won't show up)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have any downloads default to my Downloads folder which makes life a lot easier.

If you right click on the ISO file you can use Send to, to put it into the Docs folder which should make it easier to access or, go Start, click on the computer's username and you should see a row of folders of which one should be Desktop.

Double click on that and that may list the ISO to select.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I used Send to -> Documents and the Desktop folder and both times the ISO did not show up.

Should I select a different version? (I downloaded the "2147483647 X17-24209.iso Windows 7 Home Premium x64 English" version); should I select the x86 version?

Again, I appreciate you helping me with this - I'm just stupidly frustrated as to why I'm missing each of the steps.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think that you've said which version of Win 7 you are using but the x64 is for a 64 bit version and the x86 is for the 32 bit version.

All I can suggest is to use the following tutorial to change your default download location to your Downloads folder and download the ISO again then retry the file select & burn procedure http://www.wikihow.com/Choose-Where-a-Download-is-Saved

You can delete the file that you already have as there's no point in unnecessarily wasting HDD space with an unusable 3.09GB file.

Edit

Just looking at your attachment, but did you double click on the highlighted Libraries (System folder) to see if it was listed in there as it will have been put into a folder rather than sitting out in the open and you would have to open the Docs folder after you had used Send to.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2014-01-19 at 19:28.

Thanks
    Should I select a different version? (I downloaded the "2147483647 X17-24209.iso Windows 7 Home Premium x64 English" version); should I select the x86 version?
    Your downloaded version and bitrate should match your laptop's precisely.
    It should not make any difference whatsoever where you download it to. Desktop is fine, just NOT libraries.

Note the suffix of the file you downloaded, if it is .IMG, change it to .ISO and try the Windows-7-USB-DVD-tool again.
    Another source that offers true ISO downloads are Digital River.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-01-19 at 23:33.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast