Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    Thanks

deleting patch installation files

Microsoft have released a patch to the Disk Cleanup utility as part of the October patches. If you do not have Update is available that enables you to delete outdated Windows updates by using a new option in the Disk Cleanup wizard in Windows 7 SP1 I recommend you download and install it. If it is already installed run the disk cleanup utility.

From the in the "More Information" section on usage:

"After you install this update, follow these steps to clean up Windows update files.

Note You must have administrator permissions to clean up Windows update files.
    1.Start the Disk Cleanup wizard. To do this, use one of the following methods:◦Method 1: Click Start, type cleanmgr in the Start Search box, and then click OK.
    ◦Method 2: Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click Disk Cleanup.
    ◦Method 3: If a Low Disk Space notification appears, click the notification to open the Disk Cleanup wizard.

2.Select the Windows 7 system drive, and then click OK.

Note This operation might take several seconds because the Disk Cleanup wizard searches for files on the drive that can be cleaned up.

3.If the Windows Update Cleanup option is not displayed on the Disk Cleanup tab, click Clean up system files. If the Windows Update Cleanup option is displayed on the Disk Cleanup tab, go to step 5.

Note The Windows Update Cleanup option is available only when you log on by using administrator permissions.

4.Select the Windows 7 system drive, and then click OK.
    5.On the Disk Cleanup tab, select Windows Update Cleanup, and then click OK.

Note By default, the Windows Update Cleanup option is already selected.

6.When a dialog box appears, click Delete Files.
    Notes•The Disk Cleanup wizard runs in the background.
    •You may have to restart the computer to finish the cleanup process.
    For more information about how to use a command line to configure the Disk Cleanup wizard to automatically clean up certain files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    315246 How to Automate the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP and Windows 7 "

NOTE: You must have SP1 installed.

This patch allows you to significantly reduce the amount of disk space used in the WinSXS folder. On one PC I recovered 4 GB. On another 3.4 GB.

Joe

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have trying to download this and MS require a Windows Genuine Validation. Alas poor Microsoft can't even get that right. Click on validate download and run and get the error message that this version is no longer supported.

MS suggested downloading Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool which doesn't produce any validation code.

HELP PLEASE

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dd_uk View Post
    I have trying to download this and MS require a Windows Genuine Validation. Alas poor Microsoft can't even get that right. Click on validate download and run and get the error message that this version is no longer supported.

MS suggested downloading Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool which doesn't produce any validation code.

HELP PLEASE
    What is your OS?
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Win 7 Pro - 64 bit

Thanks
    If you've run Windows Update in the last few days, this should be installed already.

Thanks
    I get the same result as dd_uk on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Later... but I discover that the fix KB2852386 is part of the most recent series of Windows Updates that I hadn't yet installed.

Even later... Having run CleanMgr and rebooted I find that it takes at least 5 minutes longer to boot with a message like "Cleanup in progress..." before the signon screen. But in my case it did remove 5426 MB out of the original 12867 MB of WinSxS.
    Last edited by BATcher; 2013-10-12 at 14:52.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How so very disappointing. After all the ballyhoo and the angst of trying to download this fix, I managed to run it.

Size of WINSXS before running fix 7.60Gb - size after running fix 7.60Gb WHAT A WASTE OF TIME.

More interesting is how Joe managed to save upto 4GB amd how Woody can claim 1 to 3 GB.

David

Thanks
    Have you rebooted after running CleanMgr?
    BATcher

Thanks
    Batcher is correct. I saved 3 gigs after a reboot.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    @dd_uk,

Did you make sure that you clicked on "Clean Up System Files" mentioned in step 3 of my original post?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After installing the patch, I rebooted and got the reported result of totally nothing.

When I booted this morning I got the message about installing updates (which I didn't get yesterday). Tried the disc cleanup and the Windows Update Cleanup option has now disappeared.

Joe, I can't find ""Clean Up System Files" mentioned in step 3 of my original post?"
    Last edited by dd_uk; 2013-10-14 at 03:10. Reason: spelling

Administrator
    Thanks
    Check to make sure that the patch KB2852386 is installed.

Also, does the user account have administrative permissions?

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes it is installed
    Yes I have administrative permissions

When I run Cleanup it shows the files being searched for but it still isn't being shown

Think I'll take the easy solution - retire and throw the machine out the window
    Last edited by dd_uk; 2013-10-15 at 03:22. Reason: spelling

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sometimes it takes quite a while to scan for files. How long have you let it run?

Joe

Thanks
    Even if you can't get CleanMgr to work it's hardly the end of the world, because it just means you're using about the same amount of disk space that you did previously!
    With today's hard disk sizes, an unremovable 5 GB or so is probably just a minor irritation.
    BATcher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast