Star Lounger
    Thanks

Playing .mp4 videos problems

Hi guys, hopefully you can give me some advice. I'm having lots of troubles playing .mp4 video files.

They stop, start, are full of artifacts and are just a pain to try to watch.

I have no problems with .AVI, .MP3, .WMV, .RAM or any other type. And, let me warn you in advance, I've tried quite a number of players all with the same results.

I have VLC Player, WMP (of course), Easy Media Player, Media Player Classic, FLV Player, Media Player Lite, and Quick Time Player.

All of these play everything just fine except for MP4 files.

Does anyone out there know a player specifically made to play MP4 files or at least one that will play them without all the stopping, starting and garbage on the screen?

Thanks for listening to my ranting (lol)

Thanks
    Uninstall all of those players except Quick Time. Make sure your Windows Medium Player is up to date. Install the K-Lite full codec pack and play everything with WMP.

http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice Calimanco, I'll certainly try that. My WMP is the latest and I do have the K-Lite codec pack installed. I'll try removing the other players.

Thanks
    VLC & Windows Media player should easily and smoothly play .mp4 video without any mod whatsoever.
    You probably have corrupt cross file compatibilities between all the player you have.

I recommend uninstalling everything except the above two and then check and configure default programs in control panel.
    You don't need Quick Time to just to play .mp4 video files.

For music exclusively try WinAmp free, it can be configured to play FLAC and APE.
    (Ensure you uncheck the addons when first setting it up)
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I removed every player on my system, downloaded and installed the latest K-Lite pack, and now have only Quick Time and WMP, but unfortunately I still need something that will play an MP4 file. Still freezes up and gets cluttered with artifacts.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow35 View Post
    Well, I removed every player on my system, downloaded and installed the latest K-Lite pack, and now have only Quick Time and WMP, but unfortunately I still need something that will play an MP4 file. Still freezes up and gets cluttered with artifacts.
    The K-Lite pack you installed should have included "Media Player Classic (Home Cinema)" which I have been using for at least ten years for playing all video formats, including MP4.

I always get the latest K-Lite "MEGA" pack from Download K-Lite MEGA Codec Pack.

Try right-clicking an MP4 file then left-click on "Media Player Classic" to see if the video plays correctly; if it does then you should consider setting MPC as your default player rather than WMP.
    Computer Consultant/Technician 15+ years experience.
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    Make sure your Windows Medium Player is up to date.
    What a great Freudian slip.

WMP is "medium" at best.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok guys, something strange in the neighborhood.... I put ALL the players back, downloaded and installed the "mega" K-Lite pack and presto-chango, ALL the players will play MP4 files. Perhaps I was missing a necessary codec? Thought that I already had K-Lite installed, but maybe not.

Many thanks to everyone for the advice.