Thanks

APPCRASH When Trying To Create A System Repair Disk

Since my error code is different from the other post, I decided it best not to hijack that thread and just start a new one. I have a Dell XPS 8700 running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit and since the day I received this computer every time I try to make a system repair disk, it crashes and I get the following error message:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: recdisc.exe
    Application Version: 6.1.7601.17514
    Application Timestamp: 4ce7990e
    Fault Module Name: ole32.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7c92c
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 00000000000284fb
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: e574
    Additional Information 2: e57488545f86d383cf00c40c411daee5
    Additional Information 3: 87c1
    Additional Information 4: 87c124eda4e0a1ca96bf3af6f20d97cf

I was in hopes that the solution that was posted for JoeP in the other thread would work, but alas, it did not. I have a feeling it is because the codes in my error are different from his. I searched and searched for a resolution for this long before I came here and have tried several times since and have come up empty for a solution. I am in hopes that someone here has an answer.

Edited to add: I went to the Event Viewer to see if anything else was generating an error at the same time and found this event which says the source is .NET Runtime:

Application: recdisc.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 000007FEFDF1247B
    Stack:

Pam
    Last edited by PamS; 2014-03-21 at 23:12.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    What was the Event ID in Event Viewer for that error and did you use the Event Log Online Help link for more info ?

Thanks
    The thread at http://www.sevenforums.com/performan...s-working.html
    indicates the problem occurs if you have Box Sync installed. Try uninstalling it if you have it.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    What was the Event ID in Event Viewer for that error and did you use the Event Log Online Help link for more info ?
    The Event ID for the .NET Runtime error is 1026 and the Event ID for the APPCRASH error is 1000.

When I clicked on the Event Online Help Link, it never would load a page. The box that says it is searching for a solution, just disappears without opening a page at all after it has searched for about 15-20 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    The thread at http://www.sevenforums.com/performan...s-working.html
    indicates the problem occurs if you have Box Sync installed. Try uninstalling it if you have it.

Jerry
    I do not have Box Sync installed either, nor any other kind of syncing software... at least none that I have installed. I saw that thread and did a search of the harddrive for those files and DBROverlayIcon.dll was the only one that I had, which changing it to DBROverlayIcon.dll.old did not help. Now if I was suppose to reboot after changing the name, that I did not do because it was not included in the instructions that I read. So if that step should have been done, I did not do that.

Pam

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have had this problem since getting the computer, is it still under warranty ?

That Event ID seems to be quite generic and can find nothing constructive from that to help.

Of the things that you have tried, have you tried this in Safe Mode or in a clean boot ?

There was one possible solution that involves booting up with an install disc, selecting the Repair your computer option and selecting Command Prompt from Recovery options, type and enter the command recdisc - which you can read in http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...e-2c009470c38e although for a different error code.

If you don't have a Win 7 install disk then you can download a SP1 ISO from http://www.w7forums.com/threads/offi...wnloads.12325/ and use http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool to create a bootable USB/DVD.

As it involves .NET Framework v4 I was wondering if running the .NET Framework Repair Tool would help and installing v4.5.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl....aspx?id=30135

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downl....aspx?id=30653

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

PamS (2014-03-22)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    If you do decide to create a bootable disk to boot up with, navigate to the Command Prompt again and enter bcdedit |find "osdevice" then enter sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows and substituting C: for whichever the previous command shows for the Partition if different to C:

This will perform a system file check from a clean source.

Thanks
    Yes Sudo15, it is still under warranty and I had already addressed this issue with Dell during the first week I had the computer and they had no solution either. I suspect it has something to do with the Dell Backup and Recovery software that is installed. Hindsight being what it is, if I had known that Win7 was capable of making its own images I would have never gotten that software added.

When I got this computer, it had an earlier version of the .NET framework and I still had the same problem back then, so I don't know that going to v4.5 would help. the .NET stuff is way over my head as I have never understood what it was used for.

I have read about trying it in Safe Mode or in a clean boot, but with my comfort capabilities being what they are in messing with what I don't fully understand, I have not tried that route yet. Most people said it still did not work when they tried it, so I have not been brave enough to venture there yet.

I was able to get Dell to send me the install disc for Win7 SP1 and have that filed away. My wanting to "fix" this issue was then placed on the back burner because it was my understanding that if I had to, I could use that install disc to boot from in order to install a system backup image. Mind you, I may be way off base on that thinking as I have had to try to read and learn as I go.

When I saw the other post and saw that this issue may be an "easy fix" I did try it, but it did not work. So I thought I would see if anything else jumped out about my particular situation. I have read many message boards with the same issue, but renaming the 2 .dll files (only one of which I had) was not my solution unfortunately. I really do appreciate your looking at what I had and taking the time to give me your suggestions. For now since I am having no other problems with this system, I think I will leave well enough alone until I get to a comfortable place with my working knowledge of Win7 to try these other suggestions.

Pam

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    The Win 7 SP1 disk will get you back in just as a Recovery disk would, but be sure to select Repair your computer from the lower left side of the page.

I think I would have demanded another computer as that one isn't working as it should.

To change the boot order should you need to, usually tapping F12 as you switch on will give you the option to move the CD/DVD to the top, insert the disk and press Enter and then watch for the prompt to Press any key to boot from CD/DVD.

Give that offboot sfc /scannow a try (Post #6) - you never know ?

Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15 for that information. With Dell's history of late with replacing computers that are not working correctly, since this was my only issue (well other than booting up with USB devices attached) I was leaving well enough alone.

My old XP habits of leaving a couple of USB devices plugged in all of the time have been hard to break but I am learning to live with this. Over the years I have been extremely lucky in that I have never had a hard drive fail except when my pup stepped on the power switch to my battery backup several years ago by accident.

I know it is pure luck that I have not had a lot of issues with my computers over the years and I am trying to get better about keeping system image backups. Acronis did not play well with my WinXP machine and was very picky about what brand of external hard drives it would even work with, so I have opted not to go that route on this computer. Yes I did call Acronis and ask them what brands of hard drives their software worked with and even they could/would not give me an answer nor could they tell me why their software would not recognize certain brands either.

Thank you for your assistance and kindness.. it is much appreciated.

Pam

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Yes I did call Acronis and ask them what brands of hard drives their software worked with and even they could/would not give me an answer nor could they tell me why their software would not recognize certain brands either.
    And that's why I use EaseUS Backup and others use Macrium. As far as I can tell, Acronis went downhill after the 2009 edition (which I didn't have), unless you're willing to do a lot of drive maintenance manually.

Zig