Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Publishing pages correctly

This shouldn't be hard but it's certainly not obvious - at least to me.

On the other hand, I don't do this very often.

I'm using Publisher to create a card. I chose a template for a 4-page card. I created my content. In the page navigation panel, Publisher shows what I think as the front of the card as page 1 - good! Pages 2 and 3 are shown as one side-by-side view to be folded for the inside left and right sides. Page 4 is shown separately as being the back of the card. Really looks just like I want it.

When I Save As a PDF and look at the PDF, I'm seeing one "sheet." Pages 1 and 4 are together and upside down relative to pages 2 and 3. I understand that if I were to fold this across the middle and then down the center, I'd get my card exactly as I'd expect. But this is not what I want to do. I want the printer to print on both sides - pages 1 and 4 on one side and pages 2 and 3 on the other. I can handle the one fold. Right now, I'm getting all 4 pages on the one sheet.

Should I be saving pages 1 and 4 as one PDF and 2 and 3 as another in Publisher? Are there some settings in Publisher or Adobe Reader to get this to come out correctly?

TIA

Fred

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,

Despite never having used Publisher, and technology is a mystery to me, as nobody else has replied, let me say that I think you are on the right lines.

If you print pages 1 and 4 on one side, with 2 and 3 on the reverse it should work. Just take care to ensure the paper is the correct way round for the reverse. When doing double sided printing I always start with just the first two pages, never being able to remember which way round to put the paper.

You have probably worked it out yourself by now, but I know how depressing it is to post a problem and not get a single response.
    Last edited by georgelee; 2014-03-21 at 12:28. Reason: added just

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi George,

Thks for responding. I appreciate the thought.

I couldn't find a way to force the "save as pdf" to just save pages 1 and 4 as one pdf'd page and pages 2 and 3 and another pdf'd page.

So I tried another approach.

The original card had measurements of something like 4x5 inches. So all 4 Publisher pages fit on one pdf'd 8.5x11 American page. So I changed the card's measurements to something like 5x8 inches using a Publisher template. Getting the existing material (text and graphics) to the new size was pretty easy. But it did leave some blank area that I had to fill up (which wasn't too bad and actually worked out well as far as the purpose of the card). And when I pdf'd the card, I got exactly what I wanted: pages 1 and 4 on one pdf'd page and pages 2 and 3 on the second pdf'd page. And yes, printing the 2 pages of the pdf'd file back-to-back got me exactly what I wanted!

Fred