Lounger
    Thanks

MS wireless keyboard: Can't find USB key

I have an almost new MS keyboard that my wife wants. We can't locate the USB key/stub that came with it.

Are we totally screwed forever?

Remedies???

Thanks

DeadVAIO - Phoenix

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Contact the manufacturer and say you lost it.
    If you got it second hand from someone else and didn't receive the USB reciever, query them.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Googling around seems to indicate that Microsoft doesn't sell the USB transceiver as a separate part and several sites indicate the the transceiver and keyboard are a matched pair. You appear to be out of luck.

Jerry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

DeadVAIO (2014-03-24)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If the keyboard has a small orange square with a black star on it, then it is an Unifying device for which you can buy separate Unifying transceivers, but I don't think MS are into that with their products although checking for the symbol could save you some grief.

Thanks
    Sudo,

The unifying receivers are a Logitech feature and to the best of my knowledge do not work with other brands. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Sudo,

The unifying receivers are a Logitech feature and to the best of my knowledge do not work with other brands. HTH
    You can contact Logitech for a list of compatible keyboards but MS probably won't be included as they like to do things their way - but it was a thought.

I don't think there would be any harm in contacting MS to see if they could help out with a transceiver and if you don't ask, then you don't get.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Jerry. Thanks for confirming my fears. It's dumb and bad business for MS to not provide for substitutions with their USB key. That thing is so tiny it's so easily overlooked, especially when you're married to someone who loves throwing my computer s*** out.

Thanks
    See if you can find the same keyboard cheap on Ebay. That might be a cheap way to pick up the USB transceiver.

Also, check your local thrift store. You might get lucky.

Thanks
    I've found the best way to find a lost part is to buy a replacement (in your case a new keyboard). Invariably, I find the lost part a week after I replace it.

See if you can find the same keyboard cheap on Ebay. That might be a cheap way to pick up the USB transceiver.
    Some of the Google results indicate the transceiver and the keyboard are a matched pair so this might not work. I had an older Logitech wireless mouse that worked that way.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you're prepared to invest some time, try your local Freecycle, maybe someone whose keyboard broke has a dongle to give away. If you e-mail a (free) ad, carefully read all rules first (there are a few), and use plain language for the non-geeky (maybe 'that little USB thing'). Do your homework first by googlepic-ing your keyboard model until you find a pic of its dongle, so you (and any would-be-donaters you deal with) know what it looks like.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If the KB and the USB Key are a matched set; When you call MS have the KB model#, part# and serial# ready. They may be able to send you one since it is just a PROM.
    Know the sale price of a new KB when you call because they may want full retail for the whole works.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philomel View Post
    If the KB and the USB Key are a matched set; When you call MS have the KB model#, part# and serial# ready. They may be able to send you one since it is just a PROM.
    Know the sale price of a new KB when you call because they may want full retail for the whole works.
    If I was going to have to pay full retail for the USB key, I would just purchase the whole set new.

For me, I like to keep my life as uncomplicated as possible, so that's why I don't have a wireless mouse or keyboard. But, to each his own.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Me again, Jim, how are you ?
    >>> But, to each his own <<<
    Well, my "own" states that anything WL is the bug in the rug. My computors to AP are WL, so are all my KBs and mice. Mind you, I have yet to loose one dongle. Is this a senior thing ? Why WL ? Well, I can have more flexibility in movement, sit where I want in the house and still enjoy nit-picking at you. . Jean.

Thanks
    I'm fine, thank you. Probably warmer than you, seeing as how I'm near the Gulf of Mexico and you're in Canada.