Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Rye, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Cannot download emails from ISP

    I recently had to reformat my internal hard drive and re-install Office 2010. It worked OK for a week, but then it stopped downloading emails from my ISP, though I could still send them OK. There were a couple of messages on the File tab. One said that updates were being downloaded and that they would take 15 minutes or so to install. The other said that I needed to download a Hotmail processor or the program would not work. Following advice from this and other sites, I did a complete repair of the Office suite. Afterwards, the messages had disappeared, but I am still unable to receive emails.

    Inspection of the Send/Receive Progress Window reveals the following:

    1. The green progress bar is stalled at the half-way mark, but the wave shows that it is still active.
    2. The sending report is marked as completed, with a green tick at the LHS.
    3. The receiving report is marked as processing, with a blue arrow at the RHS.
    4. Another message at the foot of the window states that the sending process is still active. However, after a while, this message disappears and a second receiving report appears in the main body of the window.

    Fortunately, I can still access my incoming emails for viewing on the ISP site, but it is not very convenient receiving and sending emails this way, for management reasons.

    Any advice from you very clever people out there ??

  2. #2
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    ST-JEANNET FRANCE
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I may tell you what I am doing in this case as that happened to me too ; reset your account completely ; you can access your account settings from within Office Outlook 2010; I am sure you know how to do that ; if not I will tell you in a next post if you answer mine ; when you do this be sure that you enter the data MANUALLY ; otherwise it may happen that Outlook will configure your account as EXCHANGE account ant that is not going to work ; be sure of the name of the incoming server and outgoing server ; before closing there will be a test that you may try first ; you will find a button to send a test ; what you are explaining is strange to me I did not have any blue Arrow . Anyway seeems to me that your seettings were wrong for some reason ; could you please tell if your servers are pop or IMAP ; now BEFORE doing anything , go on the site of your ISP as you already did and empty some old pages , namely those containing mail that you already downloaded ; it may happen that for some reason the server has been blocked by a former download ; telle me about the outcome and send datas or / and screenshots OLIVIER GEBUHRER

  3. #3
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Forever West
    Posts
    2,072
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 259 Times in 248 Posts
    Also check the Port numbers in the Account setup, some ISPs don't use the default of 25 and 110.

  4. #4
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    ST-JEANNET FRANCE
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Everything dépends on my fprmer message ; ports are automatically determined for a number of ISP's ; anyway the most important thing is to RESET the account manually

  5. #5
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Rye, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    151
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for your responses, colleagues all. One should always note useful bits of advice, even when they are not the answer to the problem at hand. However, you, Tchapaiev, pointed me in the right direction with your remark about a blockage at the server end. My provider keeps emails for about six months (oh, the wonders of the Cloud), even after I had downloaded them. With being off the air for a couple of weeks, the total in store apparently passed some sort of limit. One would have thought that the provider would have simply peeled off some of the oldest ones, but no doubt they considered that they were looking after the client's data. Some more specific advice would have been welcome. Anyway, I logged in to my provider's site and found about 10,000 emails sitting there. Setting aside those which had arrived after I went off the air, I deleted all of the rest and lo and behold, everything worked. When the current situation relaxes a little bit, I might investigate and see whether there is a setting on the site which gives me some more control.
    Thanks again to all.

  6. #6
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    ST-JEANNET FRANCE
    Posts
    37
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would have liked to give more detailed instructions but you did not give the necessary information ; moreover I have to tell you that most probably there is NO setting on the providers 'site to clean up your messages ; this can however be done from inside Outlook ; go to your account settings and then click on "MORE OPTIONS " button ; in the next window you will have to click on the button "advanced" which will let you set the parameters on your server; read everything and set the delay of maintenance on the server at your convenience ; your comment is not accurate ; the ISP does not look into your datas ;their only concern is the size .
    I hope this is the required "specific advice" you are "expecting " OLIVIER GEBUHRER

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •