Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HDD questions

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Lumpy,

By definition anything connected to a USB port is Removable! HTH
    Right, I realize that since you plug/unplug the USB cord. But following Paul T's advice allowed an IDE HDD attached by USB to be seen as a HDD in Disk Management on the win 7 32 bit computer. Using the same method, I tried a different IDE HDD (already formatted), on my win 7 64 bit and it doesn't see it as a HDD in disk management, only as a removable drive. Maybe I'm missing something here but without it being recognized as a HDD how would I ever format it etc.?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well StarTech ( the adapter manufacturer ) answered my email telling me to put the jumper on master ( which I tried already ) so I tried it again. This time NOTHING shows up and it say's "Device not recognized". It doesn't show up in Disk Management or as a removable drive in win explorer so things have gone from bad to worse.
    Anyway, I guess no one has an answer for this one.

New Lounger
    Santo AntĂłnio Da Charneca, Setubal, Portugal, Portugal
    Thanks
    Well, let me see... cable select jumper is used when is the cable that selects wich drive is master and wich is slave , both drives must have the jumper in the CS position and the cable has a blue / black and gray conectors, the blue is to conect to the motherboard the drive that conects to the black conector (on the other end of the cable) becames master and the drive conected to the grey becomes slave (one connector has all the wires connected but the other doesn't) when we use normal IDE cables (there are ATA33 and ATA66) sthe connectors are all black we must put the jumpers in Master or Slave in the drive so that they will have diferent addreses. When there is a single drive since that is no need to differeciate between master/slave some HD says to remove jumper (horizontal position) others say to put in master, but with a cable select put it in the CS position.
    About the drive not being reconized in the external box is because it was partitioned/formated in a pc with a diferent controller wich assigned a different geometry you have to remove all partitions (clear the drive) and then do the partition /format in the usb box.
    I normally use Hiren's usb tools.

Paulo Pestana

All the way from Portugal

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the forum.
    If I understand you correctly, I need to put the HDD back in the win 7 32 bit computer ( where I originally formatted it from ) and delete the partition to "Unallocated" and then hook back up to the USB adapter and plug in to the win 7 64 bit system with the jumper on "Master". The HDD in question is a MAXTOR 200 GB IDE HDD and no jumper = slave.
    That's about the only thing I haven't tried yet so I'll try it later on.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When you use an adapter like the StarTech the IDE drive should ALWAYS be set as stand-alone (or master if there is no stand-alone jumper setting), however this never interferes with your onboard IDE controller/drives since the drive is now seen as a removable device. Another way to think of this is, the drive is now seen by the computer more like a SATA drive since the USB conversion effectively reduces it to a serial connection.

If the drive cannot be seen correctly after being set as stand-alone, perhaps there was some drive overlay software previously installed (typical for large drives connected to older system boards with BIOS CHS limitations). I would recommend connecting that drive to the original system and removing any such software/partitions etc. An easy way to do this is by nuking the drive i.e. with Darik's Boot And Nuke. DBAN will wipe ALL drives connected so be careful to only connect the drive you want erased.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks,
    This morning I tried the IDE HDD in question on the computer ( win 7 32 bit with the HDD jumper on master ) that I originally formatted it on before trying it on the win 7 64 bit that led to problems. It now see's it as a "Removable drive" instead of a HDD like it did originally when I was able to format it.
    I then tried the other IDE HDD that I had originally formatted and copied all the files from my D drive to and now it's ALSO seen as a "Removable drive" with no access to it.
    So now I'm wondering if something screwy is going on with the USB ports/system on my computers or if something has gone wrong with the StarTech USB adapter.
    So far StarTech support hasn't been much help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I probably should have been more specific in my reply. When I said attach the drive to the original system, I meant open the system unit and plug it in on the IDE cable, not merely hook it up with the USB adapter. This would be done as a temporary measure only to allow normal access to the drive and after you purge it then it should work OK with the adapter and show up as an unformatted drive.

I don't have any products from StarTech but I do use a DriveWire which is basically the same thing and I can format etc with it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I put the drive back in the original computer (win 7 32 bit and hooked to the IDE ribbon as slave and no jumper) and deleted the volume. I then pulled it out and hooked it up to the USB adapter and plugged it into the win 7 64 bit computer with the jumper on master. Now I am back where I started, it's a "Removable Drive" again and can't be formatted.
    It showed up in Disk Manager as Removable for about a minute and then it was gone completely. It just disappeared.
    By all rights, that SHOULD have worked but something is wrong.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I still recommend placing the drive back onto the original system's IDE cable and using Darik's Boot and Nuke to wipe it completely. Perhaps there is some corruption still there since drives have backup copies of the partition table, MFT etc which you normally cannot access but which could still cause problems even after deleting any volumes with normal methods (i.e. using Windows). Once DBAN wipes the drive it would be as close to factory fresh as you're going to get it. Then if the StarTech adapter doesn't allow it to be accessed/formatted I would consider purchasing or trying another IDE to USB adapter.

Look up the specs on this Maxtor drive on their website to be sure you are setting it up for stand-alone operation when using it with a USB adapter. Most but not all drives have 4 different jumper settings for 1) stand-alone 2) master with a slave 3) slave drive or 4) cable select. Setting it to the incorrect position can have unpredictable results. Note that what I refer to as stand-alone is referred to as single or master no slave by some documentation.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice and I understand your reasoning but since I tried the other IDE HDD on the adapter again ( the one that worked correctly the first time on the 32 bit machine ) and now it isn't seen correctly either, I get the feeling that something has changed with the adapter after that first HDD.

At this point I'm getting really frustrated and the adapter will be worn out by the time I get it to the working point, LOL.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Amazon has the DriveWire for $33.66 & FREE Shipping on orders over $35, plus a form to get a $10 rebate... just sayin'

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy842 View Post
    Amazon has the DriveWire for $33.66 & FREE Shipping on orders over $35, plus a form to get a $10 rebate... just sayin'
    Actually I looked at that one before I bought the StarTech. The StarTech is USB 3 instead of USB 2 and had excellent reviews so I went with it. Evidently not the best choice, LOL

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    May I add my 2 cents.
    For compatibility and peace of mind ... Use IDE-USB2.0 adapter, *NOT* IDE-USB3.0 adapter.

There is no speed enhancement using USB3.0. IDE speed is the bottle neck anyway. In my experience, the present USB3.0 products have some hardware / firmware issues.
    A minor issue also: USB3.0 to USB2.0 PC/laptop may have problems. (Yes, USB3.0 A type connector can connect to an USB2.0 A type port). Best is USB2.0 device, USB 2.0 cable, to USB2.0 port of a PC/laptop.
    If PC is natively USB3.0, USB2.0 to USB3.0 port would have less problem. But some USB2.0 connectors/males do not mate well with USB3.0 port/female. It does not contact. The only way is to get a USB3.0/2.0 combo hub, so that USB2.0 mates to USB2.0, etc.

IDE-USB adapter is usually the culprit, not Win7 WinXP.
    The adapter may not emulate IDE protocol completely. Moreover, not sure these adapters can accept two IDE devices (master/slave) together on one IDE ribbon cable. Read the user manual.
    The safest way is hook up ONLY 1 IDE device. AND set the device jumper to Master. Setting jumper to Cable Select (CS) may not work either.
    If you happen to have an old IDE-USB2.0 (even USB1.1) adapter of early days. It is a God sent. Usually it works with old old drives (but may not on "today's" IDE drives).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scaisson View Post
    May I add my 2 cents.
    For compatibility and peace of mind ... Use IDE-USB2.0 adapter, *NOT* IDE-USB3.0 adapter.

There is no speed enhancement using USB3.0. IDE speed is the bottle neck anyway. In my experience, the present USB3.0 products have some hardware / firmware issues.
    A minor issue also: USB3.0 to USB2.0 PC/laptop may have problems. (Yes, USB3.0 A type connector can connect to an USB2.0 A type port). Best is USB2.0 device, USB 2.0 cable, to USB2.0 port of a PC/laptop.
    If PC is natively USB3.0, USB2.0 to USB3.0 port would have less problem. But some USB2.0 connectors/males do not mate well with USB3.0 port/female. It does not contact. The only way is to get a USB3.0/2.0 combo hub, so that USB2.0 mates to USB2.0, etc.

IDE-USB adapter is usually the culprit, not Win7 WinXP.
    The adapter may not emulate IDE protocol completely. Moreover, not sure these adapters can accept two IDE devices (master/slave) together on one IDE ribbon cable. Read the user manual.
    The safest way is hook up ONLY 1 IDE device. AND set the device jumper to Master. Setting jumper to Cable Select (CS) may not work either.
    If you happen to have an old IDE-USB2.0 (even USB1.1) adapter of early days. It is a God sent. Usually it works with old old drives (but may not on "today's" IDE drives).
    Thanks for the perspective and you may be right. I guess I need to send this USB 3.0 adapter back. StarTech support has been worthless to say the least.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I sent the adapter back for a refund.
    I have a StarTech USB 3.0 SATA HDD Enclosure that works fine for imaging my C drive but I think that there was something wrong with that SATA/IDE adapter.
    Their email support is useless. After this experience I'm not sure if I want to try another adapter to use these IDE HDD's to copy my D drive files ( sounded like a good idea when I first thought of it, LOL ), I guess I will end up doing DVD's after all.
    Thanks for all the reply's.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast