Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HDD questions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HDD questions

I'm on win 7 Pro 32 bit, 2 IDE drives as master and slave, I have drive 0 is C: ( OS ),
    Drive 1 is D: ( which is listed as a "Dynamic disc" with 2 partitions. 1 is a 4GB and the other is 114.9GB with BOTH being listed as D: ).
    Question 1: I have a couple of older imaged IDE drives that were clones of my XP system before I went to win 7.
    My thought was to reformat each of them to use just to back up my D drives on my 32 bit and 64 bit win 7 computers so I bought a USB 3.0
    SATA/IDE HDD adapter ( bacward compatible with USB 2.0 ).
    I hooked up the adapter and power to the IDE Disc ( jumper is on slave ) and plugged the USB into the win 7 x86 computer and it see's the
    Drive as a mass storage "Media Drive" with no option to format it, just an option to change the drive letter.
    It's not seen in "windows explorer", it's just seen in computer management/Disc management.
    Why isn't it seen correctly and why can't I format it?
    Question 2: To get rid of both partitions on the "Dynamic Disc" to make just one partition as storage, I assume I would have to move my saved files from that disc and delete a partition and reformat the whole thing, is that correct? Can I do that from disc management?
    Thanks for any and all responses.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As to question 2, I have attached a screenshot to show what I have now on my computer with the question on the photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Let me try to get my mind around this...
    You want to stick a few more (antiquated) hard drives in your system, but instead of using the IDE controller (because
    They are already in use with other antiquated HDDs), you want the IDE drives connected to your far superior SATA ports via an inferior USB adaptor?

You realize that your superior SATA controllers are being taken up by two (gasp) CD/DVD ROM drives, while your hard drives are sitting on a much slower IDE.

As to question 2, I have attached a screenshot to show what I have now on my computer with the question on the photo.
    Move the data over from the one you want to delete, then delete, once deleted just expand the other partition.
    Why is that drive dynamic to begin with?
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2014-03-24 at 00:34.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Let me try to get my mind around this...
    You want to stick a few more (antiquated) hard drives in your system, but instead of using the IDE controller (because
    They are already in use with other antiquated HDDs), you want the IDE drives connected to your far superior SATA ports via an inferior USB adaptor?

You realize that your superior SATA controllers are being taken up by two (gasp) CD/DVD ROM drives, while your hard drives are sitting on a much slower IDE.
    Not exactly, the old promise controller doesn't have a driver for win 7 so I just stayed with the original IDE HDD's ( as master & slave )that had my XP system on it. Here was a previous question I asked concerning this older computer that may tell you more about the configuration: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...n-7-question-2

All drives are IDE.
    When the computer had XP for an OS, I used cloning software to clone another drive for a replaceable HDD in case of problems. Since I am not using this particular HDD anymore, I thought that maybe I could format it and just use it to copy and paste a backup of all the files I have saved to storage drive D on win 7 ( instead of using a bunch of DVD's ).
    So I bought a USB 3.0 SATA/IDE adapter ( external ) that I just plug in the old IDE HDD to and plug the USB into a USB port on the computer. In Disk Manager it see's that there is a drive attached but there is no option to format it, just change drive letter assignment. It's not seen at all in windows explorer.

Move the data over from the one you want to delete, then delete, once deleted just expand the other partition.
    Why is that drive dynamic to begin with?]
    When my computer was XP, the swap file was a 4GB partition on drive D and the rest was for storage. For win 7, I wanted to get rid of that 4 GB partition and have just 1 partition for storage on drive D. I deleted the 4 GB partition and extended the remaining partition and clicked to format and the option it gave me was for a Dynamiic Disk so that's what I did. But now ( for some reason ) that 4 GB partition is back.
    As you can see, I'm far from being an expert on partitioning.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2014-03-24 at 10:58. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    As both partitions are listed as D: how you you know which is which?
    Have you mounted one of the partitions as a directory on the other partition - mount point? If this is the case you can just copy everything off to another disk and re-partition the original disk as a single D: drive, dynamic or simple.

cheers, Paul

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2014-03-24)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    As both partitions are listed as D: how you you know which is which?
    Have you mounted one of the partitions as a directory on the other partition - mount point? If this is the case you can just copy everything off to another disk and re-partition the original disk as a single D: drive, dynamic or simple.

cheers, Paul
    Good point, I don't have a clue as to how they both ended up with the same drive letter. Maybe I should just try to extend the larger of the 2?? Somehow that 4 GB partition is still attached to that drive instead of being deleted as I explained in my previous post but now it is included as D:
    When I originally deleted that partition ( which was then P: ), and extended D:, it looked like one continuous drive with no partitions.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Does D: show as having 110GB or 114GB?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Looks like you have somehow created a spanned volume on your second disk with drive letter D:

As Paul suggested above, backup all the data from it and then repartition it as one.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2014-03-24)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Does D: show as having 110GB or 114GB?

cheers, Paul
    Windows Explorer shows 114 GB w/ 103GB free.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Looks like you have somehow created a spanned volume on your second disk with drive letter D:

As Paul suggested above, backup all the data from it and then repartition it as one.
    Spanned Volume ?? guess I'll have to google that one.
    But as it stands, I need to re-partition /format the drive?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Spanned Volume ??
    Basically it means more than one partition can be a constituent of one volume, including more than one drive. A drive being in a dynamic configuration makes it eligible to join a spanned volume. In general, spanned volumes and dynamic disks are to be avoided since a failure in any one constituent; well, there goes the whole lot so to speak as far as potential data loss goes.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2014-03-24)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Basically it means more than one partition can be a constituent of one volume, including more than one drive. A drive being in a dynamic configuration makes it eligible to join a spanned volume. In general, spanned volumes and dynamic disks are to be avoided since a failure in any one constituent; well, there goes the whole lot so to speak as far as potential data loss goes.
    Thanks for the info. If I move all the data from the drive, can I just reformat from windows explorer or do I need to do it from Disk Manager, or do I need to use a partitioning tool?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You should be able to perform the procedure from disk management. Just delete each partition and then right click on the disk info area and select Convert to basic.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm in the process of copy and paste to my other computer right now so will try your method after this all finishes. Gonna take awhile.
    Once I get this problem solved I still have the problem in question 1.

Thanks
    Regarding question 1, can you upload a screenshot from disk management with with the USB drive connected?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast