Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HDD questions

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well I hit another snag, the computer I am pasting all these files to is 64 bit and it won't accept some of the long file names in some of the folders soooo I guess I'm going to have to burn ALL these files to DVD's. That should take awhile

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Regarding question 1, can you upload a screenshot from disk management with with the USB drive connected?
    It will be awhile before I can get to that one, but when the drive from question 1 is hooked up, it shows that there is a drive but everything is completely greyed out. right clicking on the right side ( where allocated space should be ) does nothing. right clicking on the left ( where drive letters go ) only has option of changing drive letters.
    Once I get this Dynamic drive ( hopefully ) figured out, I will be moving back to question 1

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After putting all those files on DVD ( which is what I wanted to get away from in the first place, LOL ), I went to Drive management and right clicked in the area of the 4 GB partition on the dynamic disk and selected "Delete Volume". After ok to delete, it deleted everything on D: even the drive letter and was automatically a basic disk again. So I right clicked on unallocated and made a new simple disk with the letter D:.
    I am now putting all those files back.
    Thanks for all the suggestions and tomorrow I will get back to question 1.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Simple disk?

Why not a basic disk?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Simple disk?

Why not a basic disk?
    In Disk manager it's listed as a basic disk even though I made/formatted a new simple disk and kept the D: drive designation.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Regarding question 1, can you upload a screenshot from disk management with with the USB drive connected?
    The drive is IDE and was my original XP HDD with OS on it. I put the HDD jumper on slave and hooked it up to the external USB 3.0 adapter and plugged it in.
    If I right click on the left side, I can change the drive letter ( which I tried and that works ok ) but there is nothing when clicking in the space to the right.
    It see's it as a removable drive with no options of formatting.

USB drive 1.jpgUSB drive prop 1.JPG

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows sees a removable disk with no media - you can't format nothing. I think Windows is only seeing the adapter, not the attached disk. Try changing the jumper back to master?

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Windows sees a removable disk with no media - you can't format nothing. I think Windows is only seeing the adapter, not the attached disk. Try changing the jumper back to master?

cheers, Paul
    If I do that will it interfere with the Master/Slave connections already in play?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    As the disk is only on the USB - IDE adapter and you only have one disk connected there will be no issue. If you connect the disk to an IDE cable that already has a disk connected you need to use slave mode.

cheers, Paul

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2014-03-25)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As the disk is only on the USB - IDE adapter and you only have one disk connected there will be no issue. If you connect the disk to an IDE cable that already has a disk connected you need to use slave mode.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks, that worked
    So does this mean that whenever I connect an external IDE HDD to a win 7 computer through an adapter, I need to have the HDD jumpered as master? OR can the jumper come off once it has been formatted?
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2014-03-25 at 14:04.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    It's been a while since I looked at an IDE disk jumpers, but I think you just leave the jumper on master and use one disk per cable - most PCs came with 2 or 4 IDE connectors so you didn't have to fiddle with jumpers.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Your suggestion of putting the IDE on master w/ the USB adapter worked on my 32 bit win 7 with IDE drives.
    I have another IDE drive that was formatted on my 32 bit win 7 and I hooked it up to the USB 3 adapter on my win 7 64 bit and jumpered it as master, it see's a removable disk. So I tried it again as slave (which is unjumpered) and it was still a removable disk. Then I jumpered it as CableSelect and it said installing drivers and it tried for a long time but said that it failed to install drivers.
    Is that because 64 bit doesn't recognize IDE in the same way as 32 bit?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Probably just not happy with CS. Stick to whatever works.
    I seem to remember IDE disks have no jumper as default.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Probably just not happy with CS. Stick to whatever works.
    I seem to remember IDE disks have no jumper as default.

cheers, Paul
    Unfortunately, every configuration I tried on the IDE HDD via USB adapter has been seen as a removable disk on the win 7 x64 machine. I have a SATA III drive for cloning my C: drive by USB and it is recognized fine as a USB drive.
    You would think that if win 7 32 bit would see it, then win 7 64 bit would see it correctly.
    I tried writing support for the adapter yesterday but there has been no response so far.

Thanks
    Lumpy,
    IDE HDD via USB adapter has been seen as a removable disk on the win 7 x64 machine.
    By definition anything connected to a USB port is Removable! HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast