Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: HDD questions

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I use a USB enclosure, never going to use DVDs again - just too horrible.

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I wouldn't want to mess with a manual backup to DVDs either but I use a ClickFree DVD transformer which does everything for me except change and label the DVDs. I still wouldn't want to go over 25 DVDs or so worth of data (so they all still fit in a small spindle holder) but they meet the inexpensive, disposable, portable, off-site, alternate media, flexible consumption (only use what you need without the need to ever bring the media back unless required), version snapshot requirements someone might have.
    That is a lot of usefulness to the right person.

I've got two Startech IDE adapters that bolt onto the IDE drive and then they slip right into a SATA "toaster." No problem with those so far but there's always a risk when using bus conversion technology...I've had problems with some "toasters" in the past; failing to be recognized properly and returning an error when I try to format a drive in the toaster even though it seems to finish the format ok.

Thanks
    The other problem is that all you need is one scratched bad DVD and the whole backup is toast.

Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I would only recommend 1:1 data snapshots so manually locating data files might be a little difficult but at least possible. I've done DVD imaging with TI in the past and even with good DVDs the restore software kept asking for multiple DVD changes as it progressed. Best guess is there was some sort of index on the first DVD and it couldn't load and run that from memory for some reason. Maybe that's improved or never was an issue with similar software but it sure was a pain back then (2009?).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know, I dread the thought of using DVD's. As I said, I have no problem imaging my C: drive with the USB 3 SATA HDD Enclosure ( "toaster" to you F.U.N. downtown, LOL ).
    I just thought that since I had a couple of IDE HDD's laying around that they would be great to back-up my storage drive D: on both my computers. That's when I found the USB 3 SATA/IDE adapter on Amazon with great reviews and bought it.
    After spending about a week and a half trying to get it recognized and failing on both computers ( with virtually no support from StarTech ), I just said the heck with it and sent it back. Now I'm not sure if any of this is worth it.
    I may at some point try a USB 2 adapter as was mentioned in an earlier post.
    Very frustrating.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234