2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Uninstalling a phantom program

My daughter has installed MS Office – the latest “home” version on her Windows 8.0 computer, and apparently downloaded and installed Outlook as an add-on. She is now required to enter an Outlook password before the computer will boot up but there is no icon for loading Outlook on the Start screen. I did a “search” for Outlook and there are a lot of entries for items like DLLs, plus an icon file, but I could not find an exe file. It seems as though the installation was corrupted – maybe she installed the wrong version. It does not seem possible to remove Outlook as to use Add/Remove you need to right click the Outlook icon in Start. How do I proceed – I use Windows 7 and am lost with Windows 8.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Outlook 2010 asks for me username password credentials every time I restart the computer

Take a look at this and see if anything here is relevant to your situation.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2014-03-24)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks - I have copied those instructions and hopefully the password problem can be solved - the other problem is that when the computer becomes usable after entering the Outlook password there is no way of opening Outlook. Word, Excel and Powerpoint appear on the Start page but there is no sign of Outlook; the corrupted Outlook cannot be removed because add/remove can only (apparently) be accessed by right clicking the Outlook icon - which does not exist.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    like you, I don't have a version of Windows 8 running now. I had an evaluation version installed on VirtualBox, but the evaluation license ran out, and I deleted it.

On Windows 7, I can easily use the menu to start Outlook, but you knew that.

Another way to start Outlook, is to use Run, and an alternate way to use Run is to type Windows+R.

Then type Outlook, and click on OK.

I don't know if this will work on Windows 8, but you could try it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Prescott For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2014-03-24)

Thanks
    On win 8, just go to the start screen and start typing outlook. You'll see the program appear in the list on the right hand side (which gets shorter as you type more letters). You can do this with any program.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to access-mdb For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2014-03-24)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I will try the suggestions next time I go to my daughter.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I no longer have Windows Essentials installed but I think Outlook is bundled with that, so perhaps reinstalling that would reinstate Outlook ?

Thanks
    Outlook is part of Microsoft Office. It doesn't come bundled with Windows Essentials.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Outlook is part of Microsoft Office. It doesn't come bundled with Windows Essentials.
    Thanks - don't use either.

There's a bit in http://www.msoutlook.info/question/123 about finding Outlook in Win 8.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21 View Post
    My daughter... apparently downloaded and installed Outlook as an add-on. She is now required to enter an Outlook password before the computer will boot up.
    I recently noticed Microsoft Publisher as an installation option in my already installed Office on a Windows 7 system, and 'installed' it. When I ran Publisher, it asked for a registration key (not a password). Not having a key, and not wishing to buy one, I uninstalled Publisher. Maybe your daughter is in the same situation, but with Outlook.

Uninstalling unwanted features of Microsoft Office (or installing wanted ones) is done via Programs And Features in the Control Panel. How to access the Control Panel in Win8 is described here. Proceed as if uninstalling Office, but select 'Change', as described here.

However I'm guessing your daughter has been downloading warez, or a fake 'Outlook' from a scam site, since in my experience real Microsoft programs (except operating systems) don't ask for passwords before the system boots, which you say is the situation. A legitimate copy of Outlook would have cost her ~$149, which I'm sure she'd remember and presumably have told you about. With non-legitimate software, major problems are to be expected.

So check your daughter is running a good realtime antivirus checker, which is being updated. If not, install a free antivirus like Microsoft Security Essentials. Do a full scan with it. And install and run a spyware checker and do a full scan with it, I'd suggest Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Any password your daughter entered into the illegitimate 'Outlook' should be assumed compromised. So tell your daughter to promptly change any such password at pertinent websites (after her system is disinfected).

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The key to answering is first to tell us what version of MS Office did she buy a key for, and install. All versions of Office 2010 EXCEPT Office Home and Student (OHS) include Outlook. Some people confuse Office Home and Business which does include Outlook with OHS.

See included Office 2010 programs by version here:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...ffice.14).aspx

Many people buy OHS because it is the least expensive. Others have it today as a free included full use program in some tablets. If indeed she has OHS, then in order to get Outlook you would have to buy a separate license.

Assuming you have OHS, not Home and Business, you will not have Outlook. And even though it appears on your install list, what programs are unlocked are determined by your activation key. You cannot install Outlook from OHS.

Again assuming you have OHS, then find out if your daughter needs Outlook for a business contact manager or just for email. In the first release of the mail App on the windows 8 start screen it was not IMAP or POP 3 capable. I was disappointed as were most others so Microsoft fixed that by making their App compatible with most mail types in common use today. I use IMAP mail and have tried the Email App for the first time several weeks ago on a two week evaluation of the new Lenovo Miix 8 Windows 8.1 tablet. It came with free OHS activation key in the box, this no Outlook. So I tried the Mail App and it was very good, albeit strange for me when I was used to Outlook. However within a couple of days I began to like its simplicity.

So if your daughter has OHS, but used it only as her email program, have her give the Mail app a try, or buy a license for Outlook from a reputable online retailer.

Let me know if that cleared things up for you.

On edit: That is the same answer for BigBadSteve's scenario.

You can also go directly to it using the built in file viewer going to C drive, programs/Office/Office 14. Then open it or pin it to the task bar or move to desktop just like with Windows 7.
    Last edited by Derek Jr; 2014-03-27 at 11:43.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The original post says "She is now required to enter an Outlook password before the computer will boot up," I wonder if this has anything to do with the Microsoft Outlook program. If she created a Microsoft account (as Windows 8 has you do unless you click around it), she probably now has an email address that ends with "@outlook.com" This is part of Microsoft's ongoing, confusing way of using the same terms to cover different things. You can log in to this email address by going to www.outlook.com, or www.hotmail.com, or www.live.com and lo, and behold, the screen will say "Outlook." So if this is what has happened, the Outlook program is not on her computer.

If she has forgotten her password, the easiest way to fix is to go to another computer (or other device that can go online), try to log in at one of the addresses above, and go through the "Can't access your account" links to reset it online, and then she can log in to Windows.

If she would rather not enter a password every time, she can (after logging in), move the mouse to the upper or lower right corners of the screen to bring out the "charms bar," then click Settings, then Change PC settings, then go to Users (or "Accounts") then find the link to "Switch to a local account" (in 8.1 this is hidden; you have to click "Disconnect" on your account in order to bring it up.)