Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the help, Sudo15.
    I see what you're saying about trying out one start-up program at a time, but I just didn't have the patience - there's still a life out there someplace.
    I did CHLDSK, and it found something wrong, so I ran CHKDSK /F after restart. It may have helped, but the DOS screen went by so quickly that I'm none the wiser.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The full chkdsk /f report can be found in Event Viewer.

Go Start - type eventvwr - press Enter and wait for it to finish reading the Logs.

Click on Windows Logs/Application then right click on Application - click on Find then type chkdsk into the Find what: box and press Enter, then close the box to read the report.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I looked at EVENTVWR and the last chkdsk event there. It was just before the WINLOGON rvent, and there was no chkdsk event registered after I rebooted, but there definitely was a chkdsk /f. To keep it short, what that chkdsk said near the end was:
    "Usn Journal verification completed.
    The master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute is incorrect.
    Windows found problems with the file system.
    Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these."
    and "0 KB in bad sectors."
    I assume that this was corrected when I ran chkdsk /f when I rebooted.
    So I just ran chkdsk again and it said "Windows has checked the file system and found no problems."

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, that will have fixed it.

Did you type chkdsk into the Find box ? - typing wininit may also work, but I've always associated WINLOGON for the chkdsk report with XP - but I could be wrong.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. Looking for wininit gives me the chkdsk event as I rebooted (winlogon). There, it says the following:
    "Cleaning up 177 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 177 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
    Cleaning up 177 unused security descriptors.
    Security descriptor verification completed.
    36766 data files processed.

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    36952080 USN bytes processed.

Usn Journal verification completed.
    CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
    master file table (MFT) bitmap.
    Windows has made corrections to the file system."

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Job done for now then, but let us know how you get on with this month's updates.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, and thanks again.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, it's been a long hard grind, but I think the problem is solved.
    This morning, I turned on my PC and found that there were two Windows updates waiting for download. So I tried, and of course they didn't install.
    I then took a hard look at my startup items, and found two that looked suspicious. One was Babylon, which I though I had deleted (I had deleted the files, but apparently not the item in the startup list). I disabled that and rebooted, and tried downloading the updates. Didn't work.
    The other suspicious item in the startup list was Hula, I had downloaded Hula at about the time the problem started, and forgotten about it. So I disabled it, rebooted, and the Windows update items installed successfully!
    I will wait for the next batch of Windows updates to see what happens then, but everything seems to be working correctly. Thanks again.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That's great news and sounds like you've finally cracked it.

Thanks
    Happy to hear things appear to be working again. It might be a good idea to make a Malwarebytes Free (www.malwarebytes.org) and a AdwCleaner (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/) run.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Will try.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Anyone know if when I tell windows to automatically update at a certain time, say 2 am, is it downloading whenever it wants and applies the update at the time I say? I'm stuck on Hughesnet for a while and want the update downloads to occur at a certain time, since our limitless download time is from 2AM to 7AM. Otherwise it wastes my allotted data.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhamon View Post
    Anyone know if when I tell windows to automatically update at a certain time, say 2 am, is it downloading whenever it wants and applies the update at the time I say? I'm stuck on Hughesnet for a while and want the update downloads to occur at a certain time, since our limitless download time is from 2AM to 7AM. Otherwise it wastes my allotted data.
    It should check for and install any updates on a daily basis (or whichever day you set) at the time that you set, providing the computer is switched on - otherwise you will get the alert on Shutdown.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I too am having problems with updates failure. I'm almost about to stop updating anything for Windows and take my chances! I have tried and the updates have failed 5 consecutive times. I had to log-in online for this new security Microsoft has set up, because each time there was a problem with the codes emailed to me. I've received three calls with the codes and they work but I'm redirected right back to where I started for another verification of who I am and it starts all over again... Microsoft's website seem to have been hacked. Another thing, why does the updates download each time they fail, they download again each time using up my data usage that is costly!

If the downloads are actually downloading then where are they once the installation fails? Did this five times, if they are downloaded why are they not kept on the computer? Does this have anything to do with them being downloaded in the background or is there an attempt by Microsoft to download them from their servers onto my Computer? I used up 157.8 MB with these failures, I'm not Bill Gates or Microsoft and have money to waist. Has anyone else had problems, in the last two weeks trying to get their updates to install?
    Last edited by amazon13 2010; 2014-04-17 at 19:11. Reason: formatting was wrong with cut and paste!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you also tried the updates in a clean boot as it could also be something in your Start up menu that is conflicting ?

It's a good question about where they are when the install fails, but running Disk Cleanup as an administrator may clean out something then try them again in a clean boot.

Is there an alternative ISP you could use that doesn't charge in this way or one that has better terms ?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast