Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi xelaw!

I had a problem with Windows Update one time on a W7 machine. After doing a lot of things you did, I found that what worked was to do the following:

1. Create a restore point (for peace of mind).
    2. Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\datastore and delete all the files there.
    3. Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\download and delete all the files there too.

This basically cleans out all the temporary and pending updates. When you try updates again it should work. Of course, YMMV.

Good luck!
    -Commander Dave

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Getting error code,0X8024402C after a update to windows 7. Been chasing it for over 72 hours, to no avail, paid $47+ for a program "Total System Care" fixed a lot, but not this one as it claimed it would do. Updates was the first thing I did each time after 2 installs from scratch. Even after paying MS on my other computer to find it. I think it was caused by net network 4.5 update, took it out went back to #4, and I get my downloads. The computer I'm working on hasn't got net network in it yet
    The tasks ahead of us, is never so great, as the power behind us.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the response It open another door for me to explore. Bottom line it didn't work. Set a restore SOP. What I have done is track down old XP, and deleted all files. Restart, did a Windows update, still there. MS tried for 3 days and failed. Next step?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Did MS apply the applicable fixit or manual steps in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883821 ?

Should it be something on your computer, you could retry the updates in a clean boot to see if that makes any difference.

Prior to disabling all non MS services or start up items, make a note of any already stopped so that you don't waste time by re-enabling them when it comes to trouble shooting each item should the clean boot do the job.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Done 3 repairs, didn't work, I'm working on my 3rd fresh install, no luck. Can't get on the internet with my wireless stick. I can get from Belarc advisors updates required, then to to ms dwnld & save and put them in manually.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by S t r e t c H View Post
    Done 3 repairs, didn't work, I'm working on my 3rd fresh install, no luck. Can't get on the internet with my wireless stick. I can get from Belarc advisors updates required, then to to ms dwnld & save and put them in manually.
    So are you using another machine to post on the forum or are you wired up ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Nooooooooooooooooooo I'm not wired, I perform CPR on computers for my friends, as a hobby, since I've retired. So, I have my putter, beside the one I'm working on to be able to do what's necessary. Now that I reread what I said I can understand the confusion, try being in my shoes, at my age....HA HA. Managed to find the problem, I'm missing a driver, and the updates got turn off some how, on the putter I'm working on. It's a Dell, and they were no help the P 8 years old. Originally it had XP, a hot copy by someone who didn't know what he was doing, now it has a Genuine W 7 installed. I need to find a generic driver for the Base System Device, and find how to turn on the updates. Thanks for your concern, all is well.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure what you mean by the Base System Device unless you are talking about the Chipset drivers ?

Win 7 has its own Windows Update trouble shooter which can be accessed by going Start - type troubleshooter then click on Find and fix problems - under System and Security click on Fix problems with Windows Update or you could run this MS fixit to reset the Update Components http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

The missing driver - is that for the wireless dongle ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    About the driver missing, when I opened device manager, there was a ! on the computer, so I trouble shot it, and that's what they said, as well as the updates are not turned on. I have used 3-4 ms fixit to no avail, but I keep trying every suggestion, stay tuned....

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So you will have tried http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...-off=windows-7 and have you now got the wireless dongle working ?

You didn't answer about the Base System Device and what was the yellow alert showing against in Device manager ?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a thought - with doing so many clean installs, has SP1 installed yet ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    #1 the wireless dongle has always worked. (I just forgot to carried it forward, ops wrong machine)
    #2The yellow alert showed up, and the answer I got was Base system device missing which is a driver.
    #3 The new osi 7 with SP1 was supplied by MS, and after installation of 121 updates + + +, the error code came back, after the +++. I figured it had to do with net network,so I went to restore before +++ and fixed it. So I don't do auto updates anymore, and wait for WS has approved them, before installation.
    #4 In the device manager, the yellow alert (3) showed up as other devices between Network adapters, & portable devices.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    At my age, I move slower than you, one finger at a time.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So do you still have a problem ?

BTW - I'm 66

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I do, still have the problem. I'm still in my 2nd childhood marching to a different drummer, just have found him yet, the body is going to be 71 in Sept, and the Spirit that dwells with in me is very old. Anything else U would like to know.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast