5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question about Acronis.

Hello.
    Being a devoted cloning artist I am not above trying something new. I got to try doing images. I got my first one on a USB external HD and then, next day, I did a short update to it, again next day, an incremental process. Now, I have the S1, an S2 and also an S3. I did read, honestly, the Help file in Acronis but it really does not spell out how to use these to save a OS. Should I select to Recover from S1 and it would also seek the S2 and the S3 on its own ?
    Lost I am, needing all kinds of input. This being this way, I still profess that a clone is the better way to secure peace of mind and this until I am shown that imaging is better. Shoot ! Jean.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,100 Times in 1,012 Posts
    I don't do incremental images, simply because you then have a chain of images and if any image in the chain has issues, every change done after that problem image, will be hard to recover. One full image per week is good enough for me.

Anyway, if you want to restore S2, pick S2 from the list of backups, if you want to restore S3, pick S3.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Rui for this reply.
    Any Sx, not S1, is an incremental image. Will it pick up the S1 on its way and do a full re-image ? Still a long way to go in imaging.
    Your option to always do a full image is valid, I translate this into a clone. Same-same ??? Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi Jean,

I think if you are trying images, just let go of clones, and compare after you have done a thorough assessment of both.

If you restore from the last incremental image, all images done before, up to the full image, will be used in the restore. It could not be any other way, as an incremental image only records changes from the last image made (incremental or full).

Incremental backups can be a valid part of a decent backup strategy. I don't use them as my work files are completely backed up once they are saved, but if I didn't use the software that does that, I would probably look at incremental backups.

There are also differential backups. These are less risky, since all you need is the differential image and the original full backup. This diminishes the length of the backup chain, so it's more reliable. Of course, each differential backup will take more time, as it will need to backup all the changes from the full backup, even if they had been backed up in previous differential backups.

I have wrote it before, backing up is like buying insurance - you decide how much risk you want to take. The lesser the risk, the bigger the effort, the more complex or time consuming implementing the strategy will be.

If you forget about clones and focus on learning to create and restore images, you will soon see the difference and pick up what is more convenient to you. Just don't try to compare then all the time, it will be distracting, IMO.

Take care.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Rui. I am taking care, thanks.
    I am not ignoring your reply, I am still experimenting with Images and have still not made up my mind or at least modify my procedures. I do images, incremental, most every day but I cover my bases with a clone too, a bird in hand is better than two in the bush !
    It seems to me that doing images is a bit more convoluted than doing a clone, you seem to be 1/2 way to clones as you do full images and no incrementals or am I wrong ?
    I can see where doing increments would be quicker than a clone, but, hey! my weekends have 7 days.
    Thanks for your patience here. Fun this is. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi Jean,

The fundamental difference about cloning is the need to use a full partition and the wasted space that goes with that, too. You can see an image as a "compressed" clone, where only the used disk space takes any relevant space in the final image. Of course, you can't have incremental or differential clones, either. So, in fact, an image is a compressed clone stored in a file (or multiple files, if incremental or differential images are used).

I don't see how doing an image is convoluted, not any more than a clone, anyway. You start TI, choose backup, pick the partitions to image, choose a destination folder and file name, a method and you're done. It seems to me only the last two steps differ from cloning, though you must choose a destination partition, for sure.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui, hello.
    Well, I have made up my mind, clone it will be. Your argument is very valid, not the problem here as I have many small 2.5" USB drives and I can devote any one to one specific machine, it does take up the whole medium, as you mentioned. My major argument about staying with a clone process is that I can access any single file/folder on the clone when I need to redo a single file or move that one file to another machine, I could not see how I could do this with an image but do light my candle. There has been a lot of pro & cons here on this subject, Ted being the most vocal one, he did not sway me, I was set in my ways. Your discussion was very friendly but you can not teach an old dog new tricks. The ability to C&P any file from any clone to any machine is my main argument.
    This was enjoyable, thanks. Take care. Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Restoring a single file is possible with an image, as well, Jean. You can either mount the image (with Acronis,right click it and choose the menu option to do it) or you can just click the image file and explorer will treat it like a drive and will allow you to browse until you can see the file or files you want. You can then copy them, either through drag and drop or just using copy and paste, like any other regular files.

So, I fear your argument is not a very strong one, Jean. You can also do it with images.

Regards
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Granted, Rui. I was not pushing this far enough. Not very strong then as you said. I will investigate further.
    Still do not forget the old dog new trick mantra. I am not this flexible any more and as somebody said here a while back : What works for you !
    Have a great evening, morning ? Jean.

Nogo here, Rui. after posting my reply above, I got to my USB HD and saw all that is there. As before, no matter how many clicks, right or left, that I perform on any of the files there : darn, still can not U/L a .jpg here. Tell me how do you proceed when looking at the .tib ?

Still, have a great day. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2014-03-27 at 18:13.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi Jean,

Do you have Acronis installed, or do you run it from a boot disc? I guess that's the first question, since the image file browsing will only work if you have Acronis installed.

If you do, then what happens if you right click a .tib image?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning, Rui, snowy as it is.
    Ha ! ha ! This is the crux of the matter, I do not have it installed, as you said, I run it from a bootable CD. This set up gives me nothing when I click on any .tib.
    My first experience with Acronis was in replacing a small HD on a Thinkpad with a larger one and a clone did it. That did for me and this old dog is set in his ways, I am afraid. Your solution never occurred to me as I do not have Acronis installed.
    Thanks for humoring my devious opus operandi, can we let it rest for a while as I will be experimenting further.

Seeing as you asked a very valid question, I simply have to honour it. Here is what I get :

tib-2.jpg

I guest that this will confirm your thought that I was using a bootable CD.

I had to move to the W-7 machine to U/L this. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2014-03-28 at 08:56. Reason: added .jpg

Administrator
    Thanks
    Well, without Acronis installed, you can't access the .tib files, Jean, which makes sense, since there is no application that can interpret and allow you to view the .tib files contents. You need to install Acronis to be able to browse the files or mount them as virtual drives.
    Rui
    -------
    R4