Lounger
    Thanks

Bypassing downloader versions of programs

My area has DSL lines that only handle 700 or so mps. So downloader versions of programs (such as the now-free OneNote) are a real pain. How do I (generically) bypass those prominent links and find the full versions?

Gah! OneNote just told me: "Sorry, it looks like you're on a slow connection, so this might take a while." It's taking several seconds for each 1% increase in stallation; this could take an hour!
    Last edited by areader; 2014-03-24 at 14:33. Reason: More info

Thanks
    I would do a web search for each program. There's no single way of doing what you're asking; each program will be different. And sometimes you'll be able to download full versions of programs, and sometimes you won't.

If you have a laptop, perhaps you could take it to where there is a faster connection whenever it is time to download a program.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I usually look for Offline versions of downloads. I have sufficient HDD capacity to store them so that's a non-issue, more important is the ability to install on other computers or re-install when needed. Google Search has been helpful most times when putting the word offline plus the name of the program in the dialog box.

Lounger
    Thanks
    That's a good idea--sometimes I'm stupid about things like that. I'm not sure that we have any really fast wifi access points yets.

Lounger
    Thanks
    That's exactly what I wanted to know: "offline". Yeah, I have a very large internal hard drive and another external one, so saving is what I want. Just for the heck of it, even though I have OneNote installed now (and it turns out to be more hassle to use than I want right now) I will see if there is an offline version. For my other computer. Thanks much

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The OneNote I have came with Microsoft Office for Windows, has all the applications. The Mac version I have didn't include it and I didn't like the free one so removed it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "Full" versions of programs are usually larger than the download version, extending your download time. Having them is great though. Doing fresh installs, installs on other computers, etc. (As mentioned.) Finding them can be fun. :-( Even Googling "full version" will not always get you what you want so pay close attention.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When searching I find including the word offline to be most helpful. In the days of Dial-up Internet it worked best to start a download late in the evening and let it run overnight then install later.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Boy, does that take me back! In this case, the not-so "good old days".

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You can also try a publisher's FTP site to get a full, clean install version. This works well for Adobe Reader, for example (ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/).

Direct links (not FTP) for Adobe Flash Player can be found here (http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...in-pars_header).

I find specifying "direct links" when searching to be generally helpful.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The link I use for the flash player is this: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/
    As for Adobe Reader, no thanks. Nitro Reader is way smaller, doesn't have things I don't want, but it does everything I do want.

Thanks
    The direct links for Adobe's Flash I use are from Corrine's blog, they include the Flash uninstaller and the Extended Release (Corporate = less buggy) version, latest page is here: http://securitygarden.blogspot.co.uk...ty-update.html