Lounger
    Thanks

Remote Desktop - Newbie

I didn't have any problem setting up Remote Desktop between two Win 7 computers in my house LAN. However, I'm at a loss as to how to identify a computer at my office that is connected to an office LAN. I can enter the name of the computer okay, but how do I "tell" my home computer "where" the office computer is located?

I also have an XP laptop that I'd like to also use and I assume the question applies there as well. (I'm already aware the office computer's settings need to be changed regarding dissimilar OS connections.)

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Can you access the office network from home? Is there an office VPN?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been able to access office computers via Teamviewer. The office is simply a group of 4 desktop machines connected to a Netgear router. All 4 office computers are members of a common "Home Group". While I've read a little bit about VPNs, there's been no overt action at the office to my knowledge regarding a VPN. Both of my home desktop computers and laptop are connected to the Internet via a Netgear router and are all members of a "Home Group".

Bill

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If there isn't anything now (like an established VPN) you just need something that's simple and doesn't interfere with each other's network configurations and doesn't need a bunch of firewall and port accesses and no static I.P., you could consider GBridge, the only requirement is you need a gmail address.

GBridge creates a virtual network that spans two or more local networks without adversely affecting those networks. Through GBridge you can set up remote desktop over the virtual private network, only involving those computers that have GBridge installed on them (and using the same Gmail account credentials) and configured to allow remote desktop.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll look into GBridge and post back as needed or resolved.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Teamviewer allows you to connect to any computer as long as you know the Teamviewer number. Why do you need anything extra?

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya that's fine as long as the free version is not used for business.

Lounger
    Thanks
    And that's the issue. I'm setting the stage for a different home computer where the activity will be of a commercial nature, so use of the free service would be inappropriate.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Does the Office have a website? If yes and you have access to the DNS records for the site you can use the Zone manager to set up routing to the office and then setup the router to route a specific port to a specific PC.

Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    you can use the Zone manager to set up routing to the office and then setup the router to route a specific port to a specific PC
    I'm always very wary about having incoming ports direct to PCs, there are too many script kiddies out there. If it's a commercial arrangement I'd pay for the security provided by one of the remote access products, like Teamviewer.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed GBridge on both the host and client machines and enabled Window Remote Desktop. The response is slower than "molasses in January"!!! Certainly, painting the wallpaper isn't helping, but I can't find anything in gbridge regarding settings about that. Also, whenever I attempt to access the gbridge forum I'm rejected because I don't have "permission" to access the site..........anyone know what that's all about?

So far, gbridge is a bust!

I'll look to see if the wallpaper issue is a function of Windows Remote Desktop settings rather than gbridge.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It is...remote desktop Experience tab.

Response time will depend on "experience" settings but I'm not sure exactly where those are set for GBridge, maybe the default settings? Mine had the background removed on first use. Also Internet connection speed, the upload speed in particular if asymmetrical. I was just recently able to upgrade to .6 megabit up...just enough for a decent remote desktop experience but absolutely nothing else can be using the upload Internet bandwidth on either end to any degree. I made the mistake one time of starting a GBridge Sync it session and my remote desktop pretty much froze.

Right at the top under the Friends tab you will see a connectivity message. It should say Excellent network connectivity. If not then there is a possibility that your connection is not direct; that it is being relayed, and if so connectivity may suffer greatly. I get all the info I need from the GBridge FAQs and HOWTO pages, though even with my slow connection I've never had anything but excellent connectivity so I didn't have to mess with port forwarding to help improve the connection.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll look at more of this Friday afternoon.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Lounger
    Thanks
    I gave up on GBridge. There's no help online that I can find that addresses the performance issues I encountered. I can find no settings within the GBridge skin leading to anything of use in regards to such things as suppression of background pics. The performance issues persist even after I eliminate the background "wallpaper" pic. Google makes no reference in their HELP section pertaining to GBridge and the GBridge site's reference to their "Forum" simply produces a "Forbidden" error.
    Thanks anyway,
    Bill