5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft reveals zero-day attacks against Word

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Berton For This Useful Post:

JC Zorkoff (2014-03-26)

Thanks
    Thanks for the heads up. I was skeptical and searched online rather than using your links. They are legitimate.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't blame anyone for being skeptical about anything that can cause them problems. When I saw it in my E-Mail I also checked it out. I did find the Fix-It didn't apply to my Word 2013 on Win8.1 when I tried it but it did work fine on Word 2010 on Win7. It never ceases to amaze about folks learning more when they check things out.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Be aware that the Fixit disables the opening of .rtf files. Rtf is a very common document format, so consider carefully before 'fixing', and don't forget to uninstall the fixit after Microsoft release a patch.

The problem is specifically with Microsoft Word. Personally I have always used Wordpad to open my .rtf files by default. To set this up, SHIFT-right-click on any .rtf file's icon, then select Wordpad (or navigate to it, usually "C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Accessories\wordpad.exe"). Tick "Always use the default program to open this type of file". Some critical updates and any Microsoft Office 'repair' installation will reverse this, when it would need to be redone.

A simpler if slightly less secure workaround is to only open files from trusted sources (which should be the general rule anyway!).