New Lounger
    Thanks

Using dlink router: Guests can't connect devices

If this question or problem has been posted before I apologize in advance. I have a dlink router with 2 wired desktop connections. Wireless I have ipod, kindle fire, and roku. Everything works fine. However anyone that comes over with their own device, laptop, phone, anything, they cannot connect. Usually says unable to locate ip address after entering security key. I know my ip address is 192.168.0.101, don't know why son, daughters devices can't pick up. Since my stuff works don't want to mess with it, just don't know what to do to get theirs to work. Any info appreciated. ( Is security wep)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Security should never be less than WPA, preferably WPA2.

It is possible that you have limited access to only your devices using MAC filtering, or a really radical configuration. You will need to check your wireless settings to determine the exact cause - you could post a screen shot(s) of the settings here for advice. Alternatively, a complete router reset should fix the issue.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Usually Wi-Fi-capable Routers will show by name on the list of nearby Routers and one doesn't need to know the IP address. The name is assigned during initial Setup.

It's possible for an ISP to assign a Static address for your service instead of using DHCP but you'd have been given that info or need to check with them.

All the Routers I've set up have used IP addresses of 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2, 192.168.2.1, etc., different brands may use the same or different numbers Using ipconfig in Command Prompt will show the base IP for the Router on the Default Gateway line, e.g. 192.168.1.1 for my Western Digital Router. The IPv4 line will usually show the IP as what is currently assigned by my ISP, right now is 192.168.1.125.

A WIreless connection can't be used to make changes, have to do it while connected via Ethernet cable.

Thanks
    A WIreless connection can't be used to make changes, have to do it while connected via Ethernet cable
    This is only true for the initial setup. Once the wireless settings have been made, you can make future changes from both a wireless and a wired connection. I made changes to my router setup via a wireless connection many times. You just need to know your router login ID and password which is different form your Wireless SSID and password.

Jerry