2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gateway Laptop Problem with Win 8.1 Pro

Took the laptop on a trip and used it in the motel. Packed up and returned home yesterday. Worked fine last night. This morning when my wife was going to type out an email, the first letter she touched, a "1" began to replicate itself across the screen and down. I restarted it and that didn't work. I use a mouse and keyboard with it, so I unhooked those and it still did it. I tried using the pad and the cursor hesitates and sometimes will not move. I took the battery out of the laptop and that didn't help. Is this a problem with Win 8.1 Pro or perhaps a problem with the laptop. It is a Gateway that we bought about 8-9 months ago. Even with the pad, the cursor is erratic and will not work on many of the functions within the email program (Outlook), nor in the word processor which is WordPerfect.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The exact sequence of actions is important.

When you restart the system, and it does it again, do you mean that it starts doing it before you type anything, or do you mean that it does it after you open your email, click on "write", and start typing?

And do you mean it does it with both the external keyboard and the built-in keyboard?

If it does it with both keyboards, it isn't a keyboard, it is in the driver or the email program.

You may be able to get out of it by going back to the last restore point before the problem started.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It does it in the email program, in WordPerfect, and even in the section when shutting down. I have a 256 GB SSD for C drive and put the HD as D. I changed them around and it is working now. I ran Malwarbytes on both drives and no infection. I getting ready to hook it back up to the mouse and keyboard to see if it works. I'll let you know what happens one way or the other when I get it back in place.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I switched the HD, which I had backed up the system on about two months ago, with the SSD. Everything is working A-OK now. I did a scan and it didn't show anything wrong. I'm not sure what went wrong other than a glitch that healed itself. Thanks for your help.